Featured Any ideas on age, origin, etc on this box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 17, 2021.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

C20D9A4C-E4D9-47CC-904F-76AC041AA0DB.jpeg DB1DBDEC-81DC-4606-9BFD-4D656550059B.jpeg 62D443DC-7757-48CB-B591-699644D57A9C.jpeg 3DAA8070-A635-411D-8589-B46DB98DB02A.jpeg DEDE8B49-0DFC-4C69-A8D3-FF47059E7877.jpeg
    hi,

thinking this might have some decent age. The centerpiece looks like it is hand painted on a slab or marble or granite. There are little white crystals that kinda gleam when the light hits it right. The box is wood but almost feels like fooled leather a bit. I think it’s the lacquer finish. The interior is lined in foil like paper or... Could this be a tobacco box?

many help is so very appreciated

Thank you and have a great weekend I hope ya find some great treasures

KikoBlueEyes, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Tea-caddies are lined in foil, aren't they?

3. gauntlettgems

Ooh, I hadn’t thought of that. I did not know they were

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Yeah, I think it was to stop the taste of the tea from being affected by the wood, etc. Or something like that.

The box doesn't look like the right shape to be a tea-caddy, but I can't think of any other kind of box that's foil-lined.

gauntlettgems, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Pure guesswork, picking up on OP's mention of tobacco as a possibility: could it be a cigar box?

Does it smell of anything other than wood and mustiness?

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Maybe it is for owl treats. :D

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

8. gauntlettgems

I hadn’t thought about alabaster. Kids feels like it. Owl treats is too cute. Lol. It does have a strangely sweet smell but nothing along the lines if tea or tobacco that I recognize

9. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

looks like the lining might not be original. lining a box with aluminum foil is a way to make a "faraday box" to hold car fobs, credit cards, and smart phones to prevent RFID access. could this be a homemade security box? or maybe just for cookies?:playful:

gauntlettgems and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

A friend of mine has one of those for his Subaru Outback keys

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SMART!! I just wrap my fobs in a foil made pouch that stays on unless am using a set!!

12. gauntlettgems

What does the foil do for the fob? I’m lost. Lmao

13. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

If you toss your keys in a basket by the door, or keep an extra car fob there in case you can't find your keys, someone outside the house could hack it to unlock and start your car in order to steal it. Hackers can also hack credit cards, phones, and other devices from a distance. A metal lined pouch or box can provide some protection from this, reportedly.

komokwa and gauntlettgems like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

According to my friend 2016 Subaru Outbacks key fobs send a constant signal to the vehicle draining the battery. He bought his used from a friend with the key fobs enclosed in foil. He took it off. His battery was dead the next day.

elarnia, gauntlettgems and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess it may be Japanese, from the treatment of the foliage in the tree and the owl which looks a little like a Scops owl. I can't add anything about the use other than what has already been covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted