Featured ANYONE HEARD OF A PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 12, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at the local thrift store today. Googling it I found it is probably from the 1960s - 1970s? and hand made in USA (but if it is that old it must have been in storage - it looks like brand new). But that's about it.
    Can anyone tell me what I have?
    Also - it's had the label inside the body taken off or fell off?
    Thank you!

MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 1AAZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 2AAZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 2AAAZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 3AAZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 4AAZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 5AAZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 6AAZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR PARAMOUNT 12 STRING GUITAR 8AAZ.JPG

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The reverb.com one looks like a match to me.

I would say this is from the early 1970s. If the frets are good, no cracks in the body, neck joinery is good, and the neck is reasonably straight, you've got a pretty decent guitar, there. Looks like the original tuners.

There does look like a ghost where the label was. Could just be camera glare.

What do you have into it?

4. journeymagazine

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's getting more tricky to sell vintage guitars. I use Craigslist for guitars. I don't want to have to ship an inexpensive guitar. I would put this into that category.

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

absolute bargain !!

paramount is probably the model name, not maker

it might be 1970s lawsuit type guitar, is there anything stamped on the back of the headstock ?

anundverkaufen and sabre123 like this.
  7. sabre123

Agree with Chesaroo.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  8. sabre123

Yep. Besides the pain of packaging, you get nailed with the 'dimensional weight' shipping charge.

9. charlie cheswick

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    sabre123 likes this.
  10. charlie cheswick

made by harmony so thats a good thing

sabre123 likes this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Charlie, that's the same link I gave last night...

komokwa and charlie cheswick like this.
  12. charlie cheswick

:) sorry SBSVC, i realize that know, you nailed it
    i didnt check the links for some reason, excitability !

komokwa and SBSVC like this.
  13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, Charlie, I was teasing you! You just seemed so excited to have found one...

I didn't "nail" anything - I just linked to some photos that I thought looked similar. What I know about guitars wouldn't fill a thimble!

:)

komokwa and charlie cheswick like this.
  14. charlie cheswick

well imagine my embarrassment when i realized you found one in the first post :shame::):kiss:

komokwa and SBSVC like this.
  15. journeymagazine

16. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Nice price, and does look like a solid spruce top, rather than plywood - you could tell by a close look at the edge of the soundhole. 12-strings, especially inexpensive ones, are prone to have the action become high due to lifting of the bridge, which can be an expensive (and "don't try this at home" ) repair. The photo of the action looks a bit high, but perhaps not so high as to be unplayable.
    But if the action is good, it is a bargain.
    (My first guitars were both Harmonys, way back when).

17. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

(If I may digress...my apologies in advance for the OT post:
    when I was a teenager I carried a Harmony 910 (with no case, just slung over my back) on an overnight hike on Mt Rainier (not to the top!).
    I've played or performed in the sun, and rain; in temperatures of 112 degrees, in the shade; but this is the only time I ever played with snow falling on the instrument. I should have known then that this music thing was more than a passing fancy.)

18. journeymagazine

There are worse addictions! :happy:

19. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Just a nice old guitar, if it tunes up just play it and have fun. Not bad for 59 bucks!

20. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted