Featured Apprentice piece or cabinet makers sample?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Apr 29, 2024.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

ed699d1a-bfc8-4a6e-a614-0eb03b4fedb1.jpg eb1c534b-66ac-41f7-ac75-9de65d25c44a.jpg 74a676a4-40e7-4af7-a963-7cbe09622941.jpg 0be9379d-ee2e-4b43-af3b-9261f73b2454.jpg 1b96a38f-a000-4b3f-8dde-8fcc19d7ea60.jpg 18cb493e-0420-4d62-af69-0543ade88924.jpg I bought this burl walnut chest of drawers a while back and always thought it was a apprentice piece but I'm now wondering if it's not a sample? The reason is the locks, all 4 are working and matching which is unusual but not unheard of and the size, it's 32cm high 40cm wide and 25cm deep, does that make it big for a apprentice piece?

2. 808 raver

After looking at the pictures I think I'm going to refinish it :(

kyratango, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Refinish it?!

Debora

wlwhittier, johnnycb09 and 808 raver like this.
  4. 808 raver

It doesn't look bad in the flesh but in these photos you can see the last time someone French polished it they did a bad job. I need to do it anyway because the top is badly faded.

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

If it has any real value,refinishing might destroy that.I'd wait for a few experts to have a look at it first-preferably in person.

kyratango, wlwhittier, Debora and 2 others like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I had to convert to inches to get an idea of size. 40cm is right at 15 3/4" so this is really quite small. I don't quite see this as an apprentice piece, nor a sample. Would think an apprentice would work on something larger, as there is no real benefit to working small for practice. As for a sample, the lumber dimensions are not proportionally small enough compared to overall size. For example, I would expect a much thinner top with smaller edge profiles than what we see here. I think this is probably a collector's chest or maybe a gentleman's dresser-top organizer.

As for finish, it already looks to have been refinished at some point. While it doesn't look too bad, I do see some room for improvement. I don't see how you could hurt this by working on it.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe its doll furniture. Not doll house,but for larger dolls. Its lovely,I wouldnt touch a thing but thats mostly because Im lazy.

8. 808 raver

Verybrad is right, it's already been refinished but I'm quite experienced in French polishing so it won't be a problem, the harder job will be matching the colour on the faded top.

Figtree3, kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  9. 808 raver

Yes it's very small for a COD but rather large for a sample/apprentice piece. I know what you are saying ie table top/collectors chest but in this case it's an a exact copy of a COD, how the US and Europe describes antiques have often got me in trouble, it maybe called something else in your country but I'm sure you have samples and apprentice pieces don't you? I think this article explains it better than I could https://blog.thakehamfurniture.co.u... again a,craftsmanship was often less refined.

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  10. 808 raver

I'm lazy too :) that's why I didn't refinish when I already worked on it when I first got it. The top had detached from the body and it was curled up like a pringle crisp.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd leave it as is...with the work u already put into it......it's charming......and the faded part.....a mystery as to what was sitting on it !!!;):woot::woot:

kyratango, 808 raver and wlwhittier like this.
  12. 808 raver

Yeah I haven't a clue what was on it but it was rounded on one end and square on the other. I will tackle it one day but until then the faded top isn't viable where it lives so what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over :)

13. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Like those dovetails.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and 808 raver like this.
  14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

In France these miniatures are called "meubles de maîtrise". Way too detailed for doll furniture and I don't believe in the sale's man sample story.
    Your dresser is charming and really well made:)
    I just acquired and received this one, 44,5 cm high x 28,5 cm x 14 cm: Resized_Screenshot_20240429_224518_eBay_401830239252815.jpg Resized_Screenshot_20240429_224526_eBay_401830020439507.jpg Resized_Screenshot_20240429_224532_eBay_401941026731159.jpg Resized_Screenshot_20240429_224604_eBay_401940823129620.jpg

15. 808 raver

komokwa likes this.
  16. 808 raver

Very very nice :) Does this copy a larger piece of French furniture? As I said to Verybrad, this salesman or apprentice piece debate is a well known one here in the UK, this article explains far better than I could
    https://blog.thakehamfurniture.co.u... again a,craftsmanship was often less refined.

Figtree3, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A beauty, kyra, love thewood and the detail.:happy:

kyratango, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thanks for the link!
    It copy other « secretaires » but I’ve yet seen none with the external and inside corners mirrors...

Figtree3, komokwa and 808 raver like this.
  19. 808 raver

I really don't know enough about French furniture to say for certain but I suspect your French secretaire is a salesman's piece and made for that exact reason. It's very well made but one thing about the article I think they got wrong is that apprentice pieces weren't made well. In this period an apprentice would take their final exam after 7 years of training to become a cabinet maker, only at that stage were these pieces undertaken so the chance they didn't know what they were doing is slim. Also making a small piece of furniture is far harder than making a normal sized piece.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted