Featured Art Deco era Bohemian face pin mystery

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Roaring20s, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I've owned this pin about 35 years. I occasionally search and find nothing. Search words included Bohemian, Romany, Gypsy have not yielded a thing. Searching the image pulls up African tribal pendants. During an unrelated search I found later silver representations of it that do not do it justice. This mystery has gone on long enough.

It's stamped copper.

The face is 1.25" wide (ear to scarf knot),
    1.5" high (top of head to chin), 2.5" with leather tassel

Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 10.33.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 10.35.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 10.37.07 PM.png

Recently found are these Mexican interpretations ...
    https://lens.google.com/search?ep=gisbubb&hl=en&re=df&p=AbrfA8ragPBIg-CSMUZ-PQkNs5uPqrOl7TH2YYrkrobfOBJ-Bofy72g6kQ0KX4emvDxFP0BQcvOn7spTIL1LQvTOpR2IPwMNM0PhgQKJePV0O6HkD6hIsgbt7TV1WhwyQjDdaYoJtip761rWA8LebEonQAP62KGwvNHF_RoyFMtzkraDRhdhRYvJbWyb3bFter208FmGJwd7wir6cybWyjAjvcssdAEw2A_j7vmqGtw63mMcgXAjNQsEP1JCRqdJw0389CxCmWOI5RSCUD-xXrNKaw4k994c8umEz34EvskCca59yNRlH7Q1XpLqbS583djKZKcGAw==#lns=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLG51bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLG51bGwsIkVrY0tKRFk0WW1ObE9UVmhMV1UxWkdRdE5EZGxOeTFoWm1FMUxUWXdNemt6WldZd09UYzBaaElmTURkQmRWUnpaMGxRUVVsU2MwNXBYM3AxVm1GWlRWaGljaTFzTFhGQ1p3PT0iLG51bGwsbnVsbCxbW251bGwsbnVsbCwiMi0zIl0sWyI3ZDU0N2ZkMS00YjNhLTQ0NzUtOGZjMC03ZDZjODM1MmMwMWUiXV1d

Does it ring a bell with any of you?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe she doesn't want to be found, she looks a mystery herself.;)
    Instead of Romani etc, search for 1920s headscarf?

Tagging someone who is very good at these things, @Aznathalie .:)
    And of course @kyratango , who comes across almost everything on her travels through jewelleryland.:playful:

kyratango, Dessert58, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Thank you, I knew you'd find her.:happy:
    I don't think she is meant to be a pirate, but it is a search term that yields results, so no complaints from me.;)

kyratango, Dessert58 and Aznathalie like this.
  5. Roaring20s

:banghead: Pirate :blackeye: Thanks very much!

I think this pretty pirate has sold cheap. At least I know that there are least two originals existing.

Image search should have found that!

6. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

I found this similar piece in my group of "check on later" and I think it is part of belt buckle. It doesn't have the enameling like yours but I thought I'd share. I haven't done any research on it so I can't contribute to the id on your piece, unfortunately. Judging from your pin, at least I've discovered that this piece is missing a bottom tassel.

Mask resize 1.jpg

Mask resize 2.jpg

Mask resize 3.jpg

7. Any Jewelry

It is the same design, so certainly relevant to the thread, and just as beautiful.:)

bercrystal, komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  8. Roaring20s

Nice to see action on this thread! Well made with the backing.

What's going on the back of the lower scarf?

Is it a different size?
    Mine is ... face is 1.25" wide (ear to scarf knot),
    1.5" high (top of head to chin)

Dessert58 and komokwa like this.
  9. Lizzie

Mine is 1 1/2" long (top of head to bottom of the chin), and 1 1/4" wide so same size as yours. I have no idea what the tiny hole in the back are for. Even though it has a back plate, I can tell that it is hollow.

Roaring20s likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Also, I forgot to mention that Google lens brings up some weird stuff but nothing that even comes close to matching. I do think it is copper like yours.

And of course, searching for pirate belt buckle brings up Captain Jack Sparrow stereotypes. Or Gasparilla costumes, for those of you who are familiar with that Tampa spring tradition.

Dessert58 likes this.
  11. Roaring20s

Seeing yours and the one Aznathalie posted, I think they are stamped out of brass. Mine is just oxidized and looks like copper. Thanks for the input.

Dessert58 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Ditto.

Draft saved Draft deleted