Arts and Crafts Trinket Box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brubaker50, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

7FEDE463-0200-4B3F-902A-3C433518A4BD.jpeg I have this trinket box in the arts and crafts style made with a glass box and lid with pewter decoration .When I look at the bottom of the box it’s looks to have been ground out a bit , not like the polished mark on whitefriars or Dartington glass .This is much bigger if you can make out in photo .At the center there’s a circle mark about inch and half across looks like something has been smoothed out .Would this have been hand blown perhaps never saw this before.

kyratango likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a ground pontil that hasn't been polished. Hand blown.

Fid likes this.
  3. Brubaker50

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like A “jewel” decoration? Maybe you can show the entire piece.

5. Brubaker50

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't say I have seen a glass and metal arts and crafts style box quite like this. Something about it says Continental rather than English or American. I do think the bottom to be a ground pontil mark. Can't tell if the stones are real or not from these photos.

8. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Somewhere in our loft I have an old catalogue for this hobby. (UK)It has all the bits you can buy, including the pottery roundels, sheets of metal and tools for embellishing anything you want. If I remember correctly, the jewellery bits as well. It was a very popular hobby. How good a piece was depended upon the skills,imagination and artistry of the hobbyist. See it on glass a lot here in France.

9. Brubaker50

Don’t think the stones are real sounds like it could be European have seen the metal boxes but I have never seen such a large ground Pontic mark .Could have been a satin glass box and then the pewter and stones added will have a look thank you for looking.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's possible the cabochon is a Ruskin pottery style, rather than glass. I don't think the box is all that old.

Draft saved Draft deleted