Featured austro hungarian(?) gold hallmark identification please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by shamster, Apr 28, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

I bought this gorgerous ring on my last trip to London: 1.jpg
    And it was sold to me as austro hungarian. Does anyone recognize these hallmarks? 2.jpg
    No reference online, found another listing of a similar silver on gold ring but it has been taken down, and that one's hallmarks are rubbed as well. Thanks! And please enjoy the picture of it. I've stopped collecting rings but still found this ring so pretty

2. shamster

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Did you pay 4.50 for it? :D

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

every dog...or cat....has it's day !!!
    nice find @shamster :wideyed:;):hilarious:

5. shamster

More than 100 times of 4.5 :hungover: but not a bad deal, much lower than the amethyst one attached here

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  6. shamster

I snapped this one before another customer asking for it as well;)

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be wondering about French marks too. I see one that looks like a weevil.

shamster likes this.
  8. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Top mark looks vertical, with a left facing head above a B and I don't know what on each side of the head. second mark looks like a head with a crown facing left, and I have no idea what the 3rd mark could be

shamster likes this.
  9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

10. shamster

That's incredible :hilarious: like, you can really see something in those marks! I almost thought they were just random punches pretending they're hallmarks. Thank you for the observation

komokwa and Marote like this.
  11. shamster

I can still read french hallmarks under a 30x loupe, as long as they're inside the shank not somewhere often got rubbed. But these are clueless:hungover:

12. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

What I see, doesn't guarantee that it's right. After messing around with the colours and contrast, I was even starting to see text vertically under the marks.
    I'm also able to see faces of people and a lion in the tiles of my bathroom.
    And my coffee maker has a grid that is a face with one earring
    63f74328a4c4e.jpg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and shamster like this.
  13. shamster

I can see the imagination involved in your observation:hilarious: but at least I have a clue now

Marote likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh my god, you’ve a cyberman!

mirana and Marote like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous ring, shamster.:woot::woot::happy:
    lthough the style looks (Austro-)Hungarian, I don't recognize the hallmarks though. I checked Austro-Hungarian, Austrian, Hungarian, Czechoslovakia, Czech and Slovak republics, and even Portugal, but I come up with nothing.

Maybe @DragonflyWink knows.:)

Cropped and tweaked the marks a bit, and I'm with Marote, the second one looks like a crowned head, probably with a beard:

2.jpg

Figtree3 and mirana like this.
  16. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

First I saw it as a crowned guy with a beard. A bit like this (but facing left)
    images.jpg
    But zooming in on it, now it looks more like this to me
    upload_2024-4-29_14-16-28.png

17. shamster

Thank you! Yeah I have another Austro Hungarian 14k ring with a much more eligible hallmark ( a hound’s head I think) but this one I can find no matches. The seller told me it was AH though, and you can see the amethyst one I attached, same style, construction and marks. But no other examples

Marote likes this.
  18. shamster

That reminds me of early anglo saxon coins :hilarious: very artistic indeed. Though I think there’s only crowned women’s head in AH hallmark system

Marote likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Austrians call it a "Fuchskopfpunze", a fox head mark, but I agree, it looks like a hound’s head. It would have been nice if this ring had it so we would have an ID, but alas.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Marote and shamster like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

What I can make out isn't ringing any bells, but I may have one book that might help - it's here somewhere in a box, just have to figure out which one...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted