Featured Bali Wood Carving Who is she?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Aug 27, 2021.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Looking to ID this young lady. she is 8.5" tall.

@Any Jewelry

IMG_0424 2.jpg IMG_0425 2.jpg IMG_0426 2.jpg IMG_0427 2.jpg DSCN1640 2.jpg IMG_0430 2.jpg

aaroncab, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. mmarco102

Thanks Roaring20s for the links. As always AJ's knowledge is invaluable on the forum. I feel Dewi Tara, she is, with flower in hands. Will read up on her now. *thumbs-up*

update: Looking for a little clarification. Dewi Tara/Dewi Sri? This link goes to a carving, Dewi Sri, from the same gallery. Are they the same deity?
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/balinese-dewi-sri-ebony-carving-27777656

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

She's very graceful

mmarco102 likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is beautiful, Marco. It is difficult to see if she is holding an ear of rice, but I think she is, which means she is Dewi Sri.
    Dewi Sri is the life-giving Rice Goddess. Her sister Dewi Tara is the Goddess of Beauty, holding at least one lotus flower, which this beauty isn't.

Tantra Gallery is owned by one of the grandsons of Tantra, a carver for temples. His descendants are well known and excellent wood carvers.
    Tantra Gallery is part of a complex which includes a restaurant and guest houses for tourists who can also learn woodcarving. The complex is called Taman Harum, which means Scented Garden.
    If you want to know the name of the carver, you could contact them:
    info@tamanharumcottages.com
    or through a contact form:
    https://tamanharumcottages.com/contact-us/

She has the quality to be by one of the Tantra descendants, but since she is not signed, I can't be sure. Although tourists buy this excellent quality too, it is the quality Indonesians themselves buy.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  7. mmarco102

As always AJ, your knowledge in Bali(and elsewhere) is prodigious to say the least, and greatly appreciate. That said, I find it sad I have a hard time distinguishing a flower from an ear of rice. :meh::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

All your info is delightfully positive I will reach out to the gallery and post in here any response I receive. No matter who the carver, I find her beautiful headdress to toe

many thanks…

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're welcome, Marco.
    She certainly is.:)

mmarco102 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted