Featured Balloon plates. Can anyone ID the maker's mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 3, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

I'm guessing its an importers mark. BUt I dont know. Dont see any makers of ceramics with this mark. H21727-L225064216.jpg H21727-L225115469.jpg

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

look French. what does it say on top in the banderole ?

judy likes this.
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The seller also shows FIVE OTHER BALLOON PLATES on last photo. His auction price is for ONE. Maybe something to watch. No, this does not look like a Sevres mark to me either, thank you John.

judy likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looking at the one John posted from Etsy, each tells the name of the balloon, when it flew and who was flying it :)

judy and Fid like this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

There is a Samson Paris mark in Kovels with a similar mark - crown over crossed batons with dots. Different crown and different number of dots but as Samson were copyists and these seem to be French then it’s a possibility.

judy likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Balloons seem to be a popular decoration on French china. Limoges factories produced several different sets of balloon plates. It certainly seems possible Samson copied them.

judy likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Who was the mysterious J. Siquier?

judy likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

probably a Spanish immigrant.

judy likes this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's odd to me when the art work only shows up as balloons on plates. They must be transfers, don't you think, there are so many?

John Brassey, Fid and judy like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

might well be.
    these here would not be called Montgolfière at the time but rather aéronef meaning airship analogue to German Luftschiff. therefore the form of the gondola.

Draft saved Draft deleted