Bead Painting 12" X 16" on Canvas

Discussion in 'Art' started by Karen S., Mar 13, 2019.

1. Karen S.

Karen S. Active Member

bead 3.jpg bead 4.jpg bead 5.jpg bead 6.jpg bead 7.jpg bead 8.jpg bead 9.jpg bead 10.jpg Bead 1.jpg bead 2.jpg Good morning board members. I found this bead painting at an estate sale. It is beads worked on stretched canvas, 12" X 16". The signature is on the bottom right and difficult to read. I have looked everywhere on the web trying to match this style of art to another, but could not find any similar. Maybe you can help me identify the artist and his nationality. I took photos of the back of the canvas, not sure that Fredrik is still making these types of stretched canvas and may help date the work. Also the keys for stretching are plastic. The frame is cheap quality. I photographed 2 areas that look like beads haven't been applied or are missing, but there aren't beads missing from over the canvas. Maybe he wanted it this way or didn't finish the work. I think (Being an artist too) that the image's design is very professional and definitely a lot of work. If you can give me the name of the artist and any information about him, and the date of the work, I would appreciate it. I love it and I got it for $10. Thanks you so much.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It reads Holzhauer. I suspect a very competent crafter.

3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I read Holzhauer (German origin).

(sniped by obb)

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

6. Ownedbybear

Well well! Nicely found Cheryl.

7. Jivvy

I don't think it's the same person, but they're on FB, so asking is probably the fastest way to find out!

8. DragonflyWink

Would certainly be good to check it out, but strikes me as fairly unlikely that there would be two different artists working in the same style and unusual medium, signing the same surname in similar script...

~Cheryl

9. Ownedbybear

10. Jivvy

I'm not seeing the works as "same style" at all, but doesn't matter what I see -- she's right there for the asking!

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

258706FE-B269-45FF-8628-B704231D825E.jpeg Another coincidence. :eek: Done by Greg. It makes more sense than not.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This must be a match, no? Amy Holzhauer is doing these pictures with beads. I've never seen similar. Same last name, too. I would say you've found the artist. Love yours, Karen. What a find.

From the link, $650

two-figures-20x16-1100-800.jpg

reader, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. Jivvy

I do not see what everyone else sees.

Not the first time that has happened. :bucktooth:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. DragonflyWink

Suppose it's all in the individual eye, but I do see the same style and technique...

holzhauerpainting-karens.jpg

holzhauerpainting-1.JPG

holzhauersignature-karens.jpg

holzhauersignature-1.JPG

~Cheryl

reader, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  15. Jivvy

Please don't feel like you have to convince me!

I think the question absolutely needs to be asked (I still don't see it), but I won't be surprised if the artist confirms (otherwise the coincidences are astonishing). :hilarious:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd suspect it's an earlier work, probably 1980s. The canvas itself is commercial.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  17. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Nice find and great eye! If I saw this at a thrift shop I would just of thought it was some good craftsperson!

18. Karen S.

Karen S. Active Member

Thank you for all your responses. After I posted this, I found Amy and her husband's website (more his website) and emailed them inquiring if she was the artist. I did not get a reply. Today I found Amy's facebook page and messaged her with the image. I'm hoping to hear back from her (if she's still alive). I'll post what I find out if she responds.

reader, cxgirl and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted