Featured Beaded Purse

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by cxgirl, May 26, 2016.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looking to see if this is worth listing - the inside is toast, several loops of beads missing on the bottom. The enamel frame is great, no chips or breaks, two little beads in place on the clasp. I'm not sure if you could get replacement beads for the missing parts. I'm thinking this is from the 1930s.
    I've never sold purses so I'm not sure if they sell for repairs or not.
    Any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking.
    DSC07007.jpg DSC07005.jpg DSC07003.jpg DSC07008.jpg DSC07004.jpg

2. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

It looks like blonde hair inside of purse at last picture....:eek::joyful:

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol wanttoknow:) It does look like hair!

lauragarnet and Wanttoknow like this.
  4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Nice!
    I would say it would sell for the frame alone!
    But ... can you sew? If the two bottom corners were 'tucked' inside a little and sewn at an angle to the bottom edge from the inside (easier to do with the shattered lining :) ) the fringe would be intact along the newly shortened edge ... and you'd have spare beads from the few removed broken fringe loops. Or can you find nearly matching seed beads? Wouldn't be too hard to repair/restring the missing or broken fringe loops.
    You would want to disclose either of these repairs, of course. (or maybe just suggest ways to fix/repair it in your item details).
    Just some thoughts off the top of my head ...

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks quirkygirl! Yes, the frame is pretty nice! I'd just make a mess of it if I tried to fix/repair it so I'll leave it alone.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think it is worth listing as well. It is a very nice pattern and the colors are gorgeous and a bit unique in their combination. I might even put this at 20's-30's.

Just list for parts, repair. I might put something like "unique frame with jeweled latch" --or something similar in the title.

I think someone will want it. Its quite beautiful.

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucille! 'Unique frame with jewelled latch', that sounds good, I might just use that:)
    I'll get some better photos and give it a try.

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm sure it will sell. Those glass beads are gorgeous.

lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  9. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

I sold one in that same condition, insides gone. I agree that the frame alone is worth selling.

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Agreeing with all the above. I was going to remark that I didn't recall seeing pastel colored purses like this, but a quick Google showed me a few! Good luck with it!

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's art deco as all heck; that'll sell easily. The inside has what's called "shatter"; it's what happens when silk gets old and dried out. It falls apart like that and more or less eats itself.

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Shatter.
    Good to know.

lauragarnet likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's not the greatest thing to have happen, but it's an absolute guarantee the item has some age on it.

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies folks:)
    Shatter - I didn't know that, thanks evelyb30!

lauragarnet likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

What is your ebay ID? I collect these and I do beadwork. ;)

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Bev I won't be selling this there - I'll send you a message.

Draft saved Draft deleted