Featured Best way to clean silver plated (?) bracelet?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by crazycatlady, Sep 13, 2021.

1. crazycatlady

crazycatlady Well-Known Member

As you can see, it's very tarnished! There are a couple of corroded areas on the back so I am a bit worried about damaging it further, am assuming it's silver plated mixed metal. Also I would be grateful for any idea of age. Thank you! thumbnail_IMG_20210912_154607.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20210912_154624.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20210912_154634.jpg

KSW, pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is silver, and very pretty Chinese Export, probably mid-century. Is the clasp broken? Or does the hook go into the end panel somehow?

Just polish it, there's a chance the stuff that looks like corrosion (I can't see it?) will be removed as well.

KSW, pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  3. crazycatlady

That rounded end piece is a box clasp with 2 holes for the hook. Thank you I will try some polish, I usually just use a jewellery cloth but not much is coming off with that. If it's silver I will be even happier with it, it was on a clearance table because of the missing jump rings. I will post a photo when I've cleaned it :)

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

So some will frown at this but I have used it on sterling and plate. Line a pot with tin foil and fill with water. Bring to boil and add baking soda. Dip in item - remove and polish.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Consider me a 'frowner' - personally, would not suggest the aluminum foil method, and there is little point to it since, as suggested, it will need to be polished afterward anyway. The excerpt below is from Jeff Herman's site - he is a master silversmith, with a stint as designer and sample-maker for Gorham, and a well-respected silver restorer and conservator, who bases his advice on experience and extensive testing of various techniques and materials:

https://hermansilver.com/care.htm
    aluminum-foil-method-jeff-herman.JPG

~Cheryl

7. crazycatlady

Oh wow yes it does look like that one, thank you! The translations are really helpful too. I'm quite shocked now as I've just used FlipperTools and seen how much that one sold for :wideyed:

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My recommendation on the aluminum foil method is only to use it on silverplated copper pieces when you want to take them down to the bare copper.

The OP's bracelet I'd take a polishing cloth to and add some new jump rings.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

IMHO

Tin Foil is for Leftovers and Hats! :)

kyratango, KSW, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  10. evelyb30

And cooking on the grill.

kyratango, KSW, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Strictly for hats.:hilarious:

12. evelyb30

It's also most excellent for baking potatoes, especially sweet potatoes and yams.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd do a vinegar bath first, that won't harm the silver but will kill the corrosion. Then a Sunshine cloth. I've also used ultrasound on these, with care.

NO FOIL!

14. Any Jewelry

Only on your head!:singing:

kyratango, KSW and i need help like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fair comment.

kyratango, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Use a toothbrush and a silver polish; then clean with toothbrush and liquid detergent; rinse well; then polish with a polish cloth. I'm betting that it's not plate but possibly 800 silver. Test a small area on the back and see.....good luck

kyratango, KSW and crazycatlady like this.
  17. crazycatlady

Thank you

kyratango and KSW like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

And salmon:hungry:

19. evelyb30

Or bluefish if you get it very fresh. (day old bluefish doesn't bear thinking, or smelling, about)

20. crazycatlady

Getting there, still some hard to shift dark spots I will continue to work on.

thumbnail_IMG_20210923_175504.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20210923_175528.jpg

Lucashudd11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted