Featured Biblia Regia or Polyglotta (1571/1572)

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Sorry to use this beautiful forum as some kind of personal blog, but here at last I got some feedback (that sounds pitiful :hilarious:).

I've got a new book in my collection, that is the most important one in my collection so far. Arguably it is one the of most important early modern books, printed in the Low Countries!

I acquired a part (Volume VIII) of the so called Biblia Regia (King's Bible) of Biblia Polyglotta (Multi Language Bible), printed by Christopher Plantin between 1568 and 1572. The full title is Biblia sacra hebraice chaldaice, graece et latine, Philippi II regis catholici pietate et studio ad sacrosanctae Ecclesiae usum.

This bible was printed in 5 languages (Roman, Greek, Hebrew, Old Syrian and Aramaic) and was ordered by King Phillip II of Spain. He sent Benedictus Arias Montatus, who was a famous orientalist as editor to Antwerp. He became a close friend to Plantin.

Plantin made 13 editions printed on vellum that were delivered to the king. My copy is printed on paper. The vellum edition is not really in my price range.
    The Bible parts on paper were printed about 1300 times, the additions (part 6-8) around 500 times and brought Plantin almost to bankruptcy.

The complete series contains 8 volumes:

1-4 Old Testament
    5 New Testament
    6-8 Comments on the Bible by Benedictus Arias Monatus, also called the Apparatus.

The book I bought has a very poor binding and maybe I want to get it restored. Because it is very large and heavy (elephant folio) it collapses under it's own weight. The interior of the book is very good.

Also it lacks the famous world map. It contains 2 other maps though (it looks like it's taken out of a Tolkien book for me!):

629c26e1-5f2c-49ec-abe4-e319d171a803.jpg

The book once belonged to a monastery in Evreux, France

IMG_3898.JPG

It has a few beautiful title pages

IMG_3903.JPG

Some other pictures in the book by Pieter Huys:

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

Watermark of Nicolas le Be (Troyes, France)

IMG_3934.JPG

This is why it is called Polyglotta.

IMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

An ancient Shekel, by Phillip Galle

IMG_3905.JPG

Figtree3, Roaring20s, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. Ex Libris

This is how the binding looks

F5lKcyoXcAEsMB7.jpeg

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Please don't apologise, this forum is also for sharing beautiful antiques of any kind, and many of us enjoy every one of your threads.:happy:
    This is certainly one of them, great find!
    We know the feeling.;)

4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Indeed, SHARE!!! This is me running off to a definition of "elephant folio."

Oh, duh! I remember. BIG!

Figtree3, Bronwen and Ex Libris like this.
  5. Ex Libris

My booknerd self is completely happy this evening :).

As I showed before, part of the paper was made by a French papermaker called Nicolas le Bé. He lived in Troyes and was part of a large paper making family.

Later when I read something about the fonts used in the book, I saw another person with the same name: Guillaume le Bé. He made the Hebrew type fonts for the Biblia Regia! He was born in Troyes.
    Guillaume was the student of the famous Claude Garamond (see the font list on your computer :)). Some fonts in the Bible are made by Claude Garamond, Plantin bought some material from Garamond after he died.

Two le Bé's from Troyes can't be a coincidence and that is correct: Guillaume was Nicolas' son!

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Way cool. I envy you the space to keep it as I presume it has to lie flat?

And Garamond is one of my favorite typefaces.

Ex Libris likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Yay!!! Father and son united in an amazing book.:happy:
    It used to be my favourite, until my last encephalitis. (The brain is a funny thing....)

Bronwen and Ex Libris like this.
  8. Ex Libris

Yes, this book has to lie flat.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your collection here!

silverbell, Ex Libris and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Ex Libris

Tomorrow I am going to take the book to a restoration company. Hopefully it will not be too expensive :eek:.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Good luck, fingers crossed.:)

Ex Libris likes this.
  12. Ex Libris

I hope somehow they can recover the recycled parchment in the binding. All info about this book is welcome. maybe it is possible what kind of text it was.

IMG_4023.jpeg

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

They probably can, book restorers can often work wonders.

Ex Libris likes this.
  14. Ex Libris

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted