Blue Stretch Glass. Northwood?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mill Cove Treasures, May 29, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I found a vase listed on ebay that claims to be Northwood. It has the same indentation on the foot/base. This piece is 7 1/4" tall and 4 1/2" wide. If it isn't Northwood, any idea what company made it? This piece doesn't have the lines that I normally see in stretch glass so maybe it isn't stretch glass at all. Opinions? Thank you.

Here is the link to the ebay piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHWOOD-B...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks acid fumed to me. The marie (foot) was used to hold it and did not get the treatment. Not what I think of as stretch glass treatment.

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. Do you have a guess as to who made this?

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this similar piece that was Imperial and had an iron cross mark. It was stretch glass, but the texture was extremely fine.

ImperialGlassGoldLusterBalusterBombeVaseIronCrossMark-b.jpg

ImperialGlassGoldLusterBalusterBombeVaseIronCrossMark-h.jpg

ImperialGlassGoldLusterBalusterBombeVaseIronCrossMark-c.jpg

edit: I guess the differences are too great.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks MOS. The shape is similar. I don't see any of those markings or lines at all on the surface of my piece and, unfortunately, no marks. I will try t get a better close-up.

6. Mill Cove Treasures

I dimmed the lights and against a black background, I am now seeing those stretch lines but only in the photographs. Strange. By the way, I love the color of your vase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

looks like what shetlar has as Fenton #621

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Tallcakes. I'll check that out.

I thought of you today. I picked up 25 pieces of EAPG. Now to photograph.

9. Mill Cove Treasures

10. TallCakes

shetlar has 621 in ruby in both flared and cupped

11. Mill Cove Treasures

I'll keep searching. Thanks.

12. Mill Cove Treasures

13. TallCakes

no, the plinth isn't attached; notice that the green hat 621 on the next row shows the same marie/base ring design often used by Fenton on much of their glass.

14. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks like the 621 to me. Makers often modified a basic shape rather than make new molds in order to save money. The enlargements show the "stretch marks" thanks.

15. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks again Tallcakes. I thought that base was attached. I agree it is the Fenton #621.

George, thanks for the info regarding the molds. I wondered why the same number would apply. The "stretch marks" barely show even in daylight, however, there are a few I could see this morning without needing a photographic close-up. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

16. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

The blue vase on Ebay was made by Imperial Glass. The name is Smooth Panels. [check Doty] I would say that your Vase was made by Fenton Glass.

17. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Fenton. I forgot all about Doty. Thank you for the reminder.

Draft saved Draft deleted