Featured Bowl and plate - any info will be appreciated

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rayo56, May 7, 2022.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Bought a brown paper grocery bag with "ANTIQUES" written on it at the flea market today for 10 bucks - here's the first 2 pieces pulled out of it (wrapped in paper) and would like to know if these are anything special or should I use these to feed and water Oliver (for those who don't know me Oliver is my dog).............
    First is a 7 1/2" diameter plate and then a 7" diameter bowl with gold gilding on the rim (remnants on the reverse is residue from an old paper tag).

Both are in perfect condition.

000_6682.jpg

000_6683.jpg

000_6684.jpg

000_6685.jpg

000_6686.jpg

000_6687.jpg

judy, Figtree3, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Yep, #1 is Morimura Brothers porcelain, Blue Phoenix Bird (as in Janet's link) sometimes called Howo Bird.

The only thing I can tell you about the second dish is I'm pretty sure the flower is an orchid.

judy, Figtree3, Rayo56 and 1 other person like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I were guessing I'd say 1950s export for the second one.

judy, Figtree3 and Rayo56 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are both lovely. I think the Morimura might be collectible. Not sure...
    It depends on how well you want to treat Oliver, and would he appreciate these? The second one seems too fragile for a dog's bowl. :)

Rayo56 likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not Morimura. Their wreath is the other way around, opening at the top, not the bottom.

Rayo56 likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The upside down one is shown on gotheborg.

Rayo56 likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

I thought I had looked at all the wreath stamps and didn't see it. I'll look again.

Rayo56 likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Found it, but here is the site owner's comment on this mark.

045. Mark: "M" in a wreath, upside down as compared to Noritake. The use of the "M" gives a date before 1953 but after 1921, from which time Japanese export companies mostly had begun to use "Japan" or "Made in Japan" in their marks. Joan C. Oates, in her book on Phoenix Bird china, attributes the M in upside-down wreath to the Noritake predecessors, the Morimura Brothers. Aimee Neff Aldren also records this as a Morimura Bros (Noritake) mark, dating post 1921 (her code MM-28), which is nor corroborated by Van Patten. I personally find it unlikely that this mark is Noritake since their corporate profile have always been to be of highest standard. Suggested date 1930s-50s. The star shape is a firing support mark for the base to rest on during firing to avoid sagging and deformation.

Rayo56 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted