Brass Incense Censor? Help...

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Anthony Cultreri, Apr 21, 2019.

1. OK, what the heck is this? A censor, I think, but it makes no sense... There’s a hanging hook for a wall, the part that looks like a little coffee pot sits in the top, and there’s a pin hanging down that must have a purpose. There’s a big base that seemingly has no purpose, at least there's no way in or out of it, to add liquid, etc. It measures approx. 8 1/2” tall.
    Thanks!

IMG_9620.JPG IMG_9621.JPG IMG_9622.JPG IMG_9623.JPG IMG_9625.JPG IMG_9626.JPG

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Oil lamp. I'd guess fauxtique.

Search 'snotneus'.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    kyratango, Bakersgma, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. That's it! Thank you so much! I got it in an old, dusty corner of an antique shop... may I ask what points you towards "faux"? Thanks again.

kyratango and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a Dutch oil lamp called snotneus, which means snotty nose.;) The double spout was designed to prevent the oil from spilling on the furniture, so the lamp wouldn't have a 'running nose'.
    The pin is unusual, as is the round handle. I don't think repros would have those features, they usually follow the more general design. I have seen antique snotneuzen with wire tweezers to take the wick out. The pin on yours was probably meant for the same purpose.

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

!!!!????

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Thanks so much for your kind response!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Anthony, one could dine out on "snotneuzen" for the next six months!