Brass propeller 10 x 11... was this an actual propeller for a ship?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This was $3 at a garage sale this morning. May not have great resale, but curious exactly what is what as some of these seem to sell on Ebay. Was this a real propeller for a boat? Vintage? Seems to be solid brass, marked in tow places with numbers. Thanks for taking a look.

prop1.jpg prop1c.jpg prop1d.jpg prop3.jpg prop4.jpg prop5.jpg

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like an early outboard motor propeller or a small boat propeller but better wait for the experts.:D

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sure it's real.....looks ready to be locked into place !!

judy, pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Vintage, brass boat propeller, no company name on it from what I can see. Edges look to be in very good condition without nicks. Probably not worth a fortune but am sure you can get more than your $3 out of it!

10X11 refers to diameter and pitch. here is an explantion:

Propeller diameter is simply the diameter of a circle scribed by the blade tips of the prop.

Propeller pitch is the distance the prop would move forward in one rotation if it were moving through a soft solid—think of a screw being turned into wood. The blades on a propeller are analogous to the threads on a screw. Some propellers have a constant pitch, meaning the pitch is the same at all points from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the prop blades.

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

My old clinker had one of these attached to it's Briggs and Stratton inboard.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thanks for the responses! :happy:

Sorry if this is a silly question ... would someone be possibly buying this to potentially use, or just for a decoration?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    judy likes this.
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Yes

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

LOL

I did a quick look at solds on eBay: vintage brass 2 blade propeller - most of them had brand names, so kinda assuming that people might be actually restoring a vintage motor with them.

You know the diameter and the pitch but if someone wants yours for a non-decorative reason then they will be asking for precise interior diameter (ID). Do you have access to a micrometer to get that measurement? Buyers wanting a prop to restore a motor will probably be very persnickety.

Lucille.b, judy and komokwa like this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The I.D is usually 1/2" or 3/4" to fit the drive shafts

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Good tip. And DH has some fine measuring tools if needed. Thanks!

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice buy for $3.00!

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

In my experience, the kind of boats these things fit were more likely equipped with hammers than micrometers :D