Featured Busy large satsuma relief vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by charlie cheswick, Jan 7, 2024.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hi folks

bought these on ebay last week. were selling separately, but made an offer for £25 for the pair
    not sure if i like um or not. not the finest but quite decorative.
    somewhere inbetween good and bad satsuma i think
    some of the figures are in relief
    would think early 20th but unsure, mark looks stamped.
    cant find the mark anywhere
    both measure 9 inches so a good size
    no damage apart from a bit of wear

any info or comments appreciated

satsuma1eS.jpg satsuma2eS.jpg satsuma4eS.jpg satsuma6eS.jpg satsuma7.jpg satsuma8.jpg

lovewrens, komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's quite a well known maker, Maruni. They made lots of this style in the inter-war period. Cheap at the price you offered so you can't really go wrong. Just get them if you like them, they are not going to be investment pieces given the maker/period/quality.

Edit to add, there was probably more than one maker using the Maruni name. The Maruni using printed marks was probably a merchant rather than a maker, so they would buy in pieces from various kilns and have their own mark applied.

3. charlie cheswick

Great info thanks ce b.
    yeah im not mad on them, they just seemed good for the price. hopefully theres a bit of money in them left as they arent for keeping :)

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

@Ce BCA The mark under the satsuma crest looks like the mark for kutani with an additional stroke. Confused me a bit!

komokwa and charlie cheswick like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, I can see what you mean. It's 丸二 but also there wouldn't be a Shimazu clan mark if it were Kutani.

kentworld likes this.
  6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I had a large one, 12", in a similar style a while back. High relief, moriage and same swirls. I posted photos on here. It cost me £40 and I got £40 when I sold it. So I was eBay fees out of pocket :banghead:

kentworld and charlie cheswick like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

interesting to know mate.
    dont think ill make much on them then,
    i find a pair isnt always the best selling option
    although always nice
    i find people more likely to spend £34.99 on one vase then £70 for two

Chinoiserie likes this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Here's a link to it. At least yours has a shimazu Crest in the signature. Mine is very much export.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/other-asian-finds.78535/#post-9453555

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. charlie cheswick

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Yeah it's cute. I couldnt get £20 for it so it's now on my dressing table with the other oriental things.

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted