Can anyone tell me anything about this Henry Hutt Martin Chuzzlewit cover

Discussion in 'Books' started by Cheri, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Cheri

Cheri Active Member

To make a short story probably long, I was.searching online for the value of a version of Vanity Fair A story without a Hero for the library bookshop I volunteer at. In trying to find the version of the book I had, I saw one version with a cover that looked a lot like a book that I have had for about 30 years - Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickins. There is no publication date in the book but it was published by Hurst & Company in New York. I was studying the picture on the front and saw that there appeared to be some writing. With a magnifying glass I saw that it said Henry Hutt copyright 1910. Searches provided some information on Mr. Hutt but I could not really find anything substantial on novels published with his work. Does anyone have any information on this? 20240123_130600_small.jpg 20240123_130639_small2.jpg 20240123_130707_C_small.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    sabre123 likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure what kind of information you are looking for, but Hutt seems to have done a number of book illustrations. I did a search on abebooks.com using "Henry Hutt" as a keyword, limited to hardcover books published between 1890 and 1920 (you could extend the year range and might find more). The search yielded 8 pages of books where Henry Hutt appeared as illustrator and/or author. (Multiple examples of the same title are shown in the results, offered by different dealers.)

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...=all&prevpage=5&xpod=on&bx=off&bsi=0&sortby=7

No copies of the Martin Chuzzlewit published by Hurst showed up in the search. Are there illustrations attributed to Hutt inside the book, or just on the cover?

The same cover art appears on another title published by Hurst -

upload_2024-1-23_15-51-28.png
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...s=t&tn=firm of girdlestone&xdesc=off&xpod=off

Hurst & Company published reprints and classics rather than original editions. I suspect they may have (presumably) paid for an image, and then used it on more than one binding. We have seen examples of this before on books discussed in other threads.

Cheri, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

4. Cheri

Cheri Active Member

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Since I have been volunteering at our library used book store, I have become interested in learning more about the history of books. When I was researching a book and saw one with a similar (the same) cover, I became curious. Looking for books with the same name gave no similar covers. Guess the key was that the cover really has nothing to do with the book and it is on other books. In my searches I did see that Hutt was an artist for Saturday Evening Post and other magazines. Thanks for the input.

Ex Libris, Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted