Featured Charging Ram Figurine marked ...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Touchdry, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bought in the UK. I thought it might be European (maybe even North European,)

I have tried repeatedly to get a good shot of the mark ... but I simply cannot! Sorry!!

The mark appears to be at least two lines of capital letters. The middle of the top line might be M.
    There may also be an M in the middle of the lower line. Under that is the pointy bit of the triangle.

8 inches long. 4.5 inches width horn to horn. 5.5 inches high.

Cobalt tin glaze (if there is such a thing!) on earthenware.

Do you recognize the hand?

Thanks for all your help.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Italian with that blue.

3. Touchdry

You mean - like Bittossi? Yes, I see that, but I sort of see a germanic ram! (whats a germanic ram?!)

i need help likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Sort of, yes - wrong clay for Bitossi of course.

i need help likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous ram, Touchdry.
    Maybe this helps, a German blue ram (I kid you not!)

[​IMG]

lloyd249, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Now that's a lot of help. :D:D:D:D:D:D

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You know me, always willing to help.:playful:

lloyd249, kyratango, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hmmmmm.....actually, I was looking on the bottom of one of the feet......it kind of looks like there might be a "J K" there..... I could also be off track.....I honestly am not getting much from where you're looking, but will look again......

X3ZZZZZZ ram3-edit.jpg ZZZZZZ RAM SIGNAT.jpg

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi! Ok, best I've got, whether I inverse the image or not, what I see is an arrow pointing down to a number "1".........

X3ZZZZZZ ram3-2-edit.jpg

i need help likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Blue Mountain as well, but I don't think the glaze quite matches.

Try Aries for a search word.

13. Touchdry

I had a look at Blue Mountan and I am not convinced. Aries? I'll have a look ... but hopefully I won't find any Germanic Rams!!

14. Touchdry

Looked at aries ... not one Germanic Blue ram to be seen ... sorry, I meant not one charging ram anywhere!
    The mark definitely has writing in it but, like many ceramics, the glaze has filled in any chance of reading - anything! I will look at the other bit Aquitaine but I'm not confident (but then when AM I confident ...) So, its down to the style ... the dynamics of it reminds me of those old car bonnet mascots like the Rolls Royce "Spirit of Ecstacy" ... Yes, I know that was an art nouveau beauty ... and this ram is not, still there is something about it ...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'd call that a Billy Goat, (Capricorn) :p

...and - one of a pair of bookends.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  16. Touchdry

You may be onto something there blooey ... a goat rather than a ram. Quite a few figurines have the large curly horns. Bookends? Might be a bit on the light side to be one of those.

17. Touchdry

In day light I do not see the JK or the arrow pointing to a 1 ... however, seeing as you seem to be into manipulation - I put it through the gimp! Can you see the M in the top middle? I reckon it reads EML or FML(top line); second line has at least four straight lines moving down to the point ... do you see it?

[​IMG]

Not brilliant ... you have just got to remember the dark lines are the letters, lighter areas are the spaces in between!

Come back ...

18. Ownedbybear

Clay is right for BMP, but I don't think that blue is.

19. Touchdry

... And if it were BMP then their mark looks upside down. No, it's not theirs. Some of their pieces have the same drama - but then again so does one or two of Royal Haeger - again, wrong material! Guess I'll have to put this on the back burner - again! It WILL appear - one day ... you see! Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Geez, I just hate glaze-filled pottery marks...

For what it's worth, it looks 'Germanic' to me too, and to my mind, triangular marks more often have the wide base down rather than oriented on point - I turned the image and played with it a bit, almost looks like there might be something under the triangle too.

Thought it might be an impressed Strehla (East German) mark, but it just doesn't seem quite right in shape, though the glaze (which doesn't look cobalt on my monitor) wouldn't be atypical for them, but the their clay was generally light colored, though they occasionally used red/brown clay - but also found no evidence online that they made any kind of figurines, so I'm clueless too...

potteryrammark-a.jpg

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted