Chinese ginger jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by simulant, Jan 2, 2017.

1. simulant

simulant Member

What is this exactly?

IMG_9172.JPG IMG_9173.JPG IMG_9174.JPG IMG_9175.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

You got it right, jar. Recent.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. simulant

simulant Member

What about the mark? It says GD on the label. Guangdong?

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The Chinese characters on the sticker translate to "Made in China" - 中國製造. At the moment don't know what the "GD" stands for. The red seal, square, is suppose to have info on time and possibly maker; however, this stamp is a mess. If I had to guess, I would say it was a fake mark trying to give a Da Qing Qianlong Nian Zhi (The Great Quing Quinlong Period Make) impression. These marks read from the right column to the left side column working down a column.

Here is a straighten version of your mark and on the right what I think it is imitating:
    ChinesePorcelainMark.jpg ChinesePorcelainMarkChar.jpg

The seal on the **left**:
    [​IMG]
    I doubt this ginger jars dates any earlier then the 1960s. Do wait for others more knowledgeable in Oriental porcelain marks to chime in.

--- Susan

trailboss, simulant and komokwa like this.
  5. simulant

simulant Member

Thank you Susan! I really appreciate all the info -- it definitely helps me to understand more about how to ID these marks, which is really what I was looking for ... beyond it being a "jar". Since this jar isn't an antique I suppose it's not worth some people's time to give any details, which is why I appreciate what you provided.

Anyways, thanks!

komokwa likes this.
  6. trailboss

trailboss New Member

Susan, spot on. 1960's at the earliest. Decorative value.

simulant likes this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I would actually estimate a bit newer than 1960's...

These jars were ubiquitous in the early 1990's. Import shops carried them by the hundreds. Many were decorated in Macau (although those that were were usually marked as such.)

I have always found them nicely decorative, but in terms of value, I don't think there's much there.

simulant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted