Featured Chinese porcelain need help with age and ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Frank Luongo, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Frank Luongo

Frank Luongo Active Member

This was a Thrift Shop find many years ago. I have tried to ID the markings but have come up short.

It is 8.5 inches in diameter and in very good condition. 20230331_143758.jpg 20230331_143758.jpg

Attached Files:

2. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

In my opinion, it looks like a Chinese 'Rose Canton' type plate, possibly dating from late 19th / early 20th century.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. Frank Luongo

4. Frank Luongo

Thank you. Here is one more which is 9 inches in diameter without marks on the base. I don't know the age and type of ware this is either.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think it would be a good idea for you to view this video from Peter Combs, Frank.

That first plate does not appear to be Rose Canton.

Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I believe this is your mark on the first item:

Capture.JPG

If you go to this link and scroll down to #335, there's ones close to it that are similar, if not the same: #260, 1377, 414 & 1372. Dates range from the 1930's-90's.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Frank & Everybody-I guess this is perennially one of our most popular questions: 'What does this Chinese or Japanese Chop/Mark/Sig mean ?(& am I a millionaire yet ;))
    P.S.-I'll be listing my mystery Japanese Pottery soon.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with Stiftgasse, it is Rose Canton.
    Both are apocryphic Qianlong marks, but the one you found is different from OP's and from a different, later period.
    Many Chinese (and even other) porcelain items are marked with the Qianlong mark, but they are rarely of the period.

Emperor Qianlong was a very important patron of the arts, and during his reign Chinese arts flourished like never before. Which is why he is associated with art and beauty and why his mark has been copied so much.

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I think many Chinese craftsmen might have a different idea of attribution/antiquity than we in the West.Things superbly & accurately crafted w/ a 16th century 'chop' may be considered more of a homage than a counterfeit.
    PS-Naturally,as anywhere-there are true counterfeiters.
    PSS-Comments welcome re the Chinese 'mindset' to age & antiquitiy.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That is why these marks are also sometimes called 'honorific'.

But the most important part of my post was that the OP's hand written mark is not the same as the stamped red mark with the double cartouche, which is of a later period.

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Qianlong export that mark had to be added later they don't mark export plates. Nice one thou

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted