Featured Chinese terracotta camel and rider

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Moni, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Moni

Moni New Member

Hello, obtained this clay figurine for a very fair price. It is more likely a replica but would like to know what you think. It passed the water test as an old one. Thank you! 1.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg 2.jpeg 6.jpeg

Figtree3, kyratango, Boland and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

OK , I'll bite...... What's the water test ???

kyratango and Boland like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Antique unglazed terracotta absorbs water more easily than new unglazed terracotta. And you can smell it, but in this case you smell the dirt on the surface.
    It is not 100% definitive, other factors should also be taken into account, and if possible, other tests.
    I think the hole in the belly indicates that it was tested before. It is the spot where they often take a piece out to be tested. Of course we would like to know the results of the test.;)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  4. Any Jewelry

It is beautiful, Moni, a very well made and attractive piece, and it seems to have age. The question is, how much age.
    Does the dirt wipe off? Does the clay (where you can find it) feel soft and smooth?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Figtree3, kyratango and Moni like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The hole looks awfully even and smooth to be a test site. I don't know enough about pottery to be useful, but I've never seen a piece with a neatly cut circle like that.

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That’s interesting information. Thank you

kyratango, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Moni

Moni New Member

Thank you for your replies!
    After reading around I found that the hole at the bottom is made to protect the object from cracking or bursting during the clay firing process. It feels soft on touch (not like new flower pot) and the dirt is not going out easily. I tried to remove some but it goes with the paint under it. The figurine is big - 53cm tall.
    This is a video of my "water test" of the rider . The clay absorbed the water very fast:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    kyratango, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Not a good sign, it should come off easily.:( Fakers often glue dirt onto the surface.
    On the other hand, it looks good, and the clay feels soft and absorbs water.
    I think it is best to take it to an expert who can judge it hands on.:)

9. Moni

Moni New Member

Thank you Any.
    When saying that the dirt is difficult to remove, I was talking about removing it by hand. When I tried to remove some tiny bits with a harder brush, it went out with the paint.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

My apologies, I should been more clear. By "wipe off" I meant that it should come of by gently wiping it with your hand.
    Never brush a delicate material like this, and certainly not with a hard brush.:nailbiting:
    The dirt doesn't need to come off. It is just one of the tests to see if it is a genuine piece. If (some of) it comes off in your hand by gently wiping it, it is likely to be real. The rest of the dirt can stay on.
    I hope brushing it didn't do too much damage.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    kyratango, Moni and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Moni

Moni New Member

;) I was just testing the dirt on a very, very small area under the belly of the camel.
    It looks that without a TL test I will not be able to find more about the age, but as I am not going to sell it, it can wait.
    Anyway, I paid so little money for it, that even if it is a replica, I am fine. :happy:

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

It is beautiful, and it could very well be genuine.:)

kyratango and Moni like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted