Featured Chinese Vase - Opinions Please !!!!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Jan 14, 2022.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello.
    I've come across this crackle glazed Chinese vase, standing c.28cm high and bearing a Chenghua-type seal - and am seriously considering buying it.
    It looks okay to me, especially the base but as a relative novice, I've still got a morbid fear of splashing out on what turns out to be yet another repo.

An approximate fair purchase value would also be gratefully appreciated.

Sorry for the less-than-perfect pics, but they are all I have at the moment.

Therefore, I'd be grateful for any help or opinion of the better experienced members.

Many, many thanks !

308_-1376001919.jpg 308_1552805173.jpg 308_-773725911.jpg 308_64022534.jpg 308_-1457066332.jpg 308_-31592302.jpg

916Bulldogs123, judy and dude like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I run away from crazing that looks so obviously forced.....
    no age to speak of.....
    imo...

u should pick up a book or two to help train your eye for what to look for ...;);):)

3. 15Stiftgasse

Sorry! I was hoping that it might be Guangxu/Republic Period with an apocryphal Chenghua mark. Am I right in assuming that you reckon that it is a late C20th copy ?

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

let's hear what others have to say.....I'm not a pottie by nature..:oops::oops:

judy and 15Stiftgasse like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Very difficult to say without handling. I haven't seen many brand new reproductions of these, I would say it is either early 20th or a very recent and well done reproduction. It doesn't look like one of the post war sloppy examples.

7. 15Stiftgasse

Thank you very much indeed, BCA.
    Am much obliged for your opinion !

judy likes this.
  8. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

While I do not know exactly what it is, these are usually classed as Brown etched marks. They are usually republican to Proc, mid 20th century ( People republic of China) 1960. Brown etched commonly use the Chenghua mark and the items that i see in the market mostly are mid 20th century and do not generate good price's in my opinion.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/brownetched.shtml

9. 15Stiftgasse

Thank very much indeed for your comments, Mr K !
    After my own research, I must admit that they do tend to represent the 'bargain basement' end of the vase market. Presumably, the abundance of later copies has impacted on the value of the earlier better quality examples.

Francisco G Kempton and judy like this.
  10. Francisco G Kempton

Crackleglaze is a common feature of the brown etch marked mid century vases whcih komokwa eluded too. However there are 19th century Brown etch marked vases, that are relativley good quality and not a bad investment such as these which are also quite common.

Antique Chinese Blue and White Crackle Glazed Fo Lion Vase & Cover 19th C

s-l1600 (87).jpg

I an not sure i can post links here...if i can i will post the link.
    This it on ebay, it will sell much higher, but a good example presently at £7.50

Depending on where you are in the world, there are some good sellers on ebay that alway sell authenic asian art. The seller above is called migularry from the Uk and always has exceptionally good lots for sale and is a very good appraiser.

11. 15Stiftgasse

Once again, thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond to my post !

Francisco G Kempton and judy like this.
  12. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Although I've only been collecting Chinese porcelain for a few years...so I'm no expert....but the facial art work looks very different from the art on Chinese porcelain that is listed as authentic antiques

judy likes this.
  13. Francisco G Kempton

Your welcome.

I asked permission to post this link here..I am not affiliated with this seller, but it is a good refernce to see t=the chinese vases the seller sells as his appraisal is alays near perfect so a good way to learn and see the prices. His auctions do get higher prices as the seller usually has very fine examples, but gives you an idea and you can find something similar cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/migularry/m.html?item=363689166282&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

If you are in USA there is a seller, I would have to find the link though.

14. 15Stiftgasse

Thanks for the link Mr K !
    As it happens, I've already bought one item from 'migularry'. It is a trefoil bowl, which I acquired either last year or the year before. I must admit though, that his items are usually noticeably better than those of most sellers. I had to splash out a bit on the bowl, but the decoration appears to be of a high standard.

P1050981.JPG P1050983.JPG

15. Francisco G Kempton

That is a beautiful Tongzhi trifoil dish, I am guessing it is Tongzhi and it is indeed a very fine example, the colours and workmanship on this bowl is very good, many Tonghzi can appear quite rough and even crude to me, but this is one of the more elegant Tonghzi i have seen. The Famile rose medallion tea set is lovely too. They are always hard to capture Famille rose medallion under a camera, they are not very photogenic, also the same for Mandarin, they always appear cartoon like in my picture's I find, but that can not compare to how lovely they are in real light. The Yongcheng famille rose bowl is magnificent, and i wonder is it republic period.

The Blue and white plate below is that a Chinese Kangxi or a Wanli or Dutch. It is hard to see, it looks very interesting. Well that was an enjoyable Shelf thanks 15Stiftgasse that is a lovely collection and yes, Migularry is more expensive, as he always has the very best of every example. I always wonder where he finds so many good examples time and time again. I have gotten one or to bargains from him, and mind you that was years ago when he was less well known, and i find sometimes his auctions run a little too high price for me. Maybe it is the chinese, or dealers flock to him.

15Stiftgasse and judy like this.
  16. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

Hi 15stiftgasse,

I have a nearly identical trefoil bowl down to the white enamel on the flowers and the wear on the brown lip. Mine has an odd reign mark on bottom though- a seal script mark which doesn't resemble any I can find. Is yours marked? If so, do you mind showing it?

17. 15Stiftgasse

Sorry - unmarked. I assume that my bowl is late Qing to Republic period.

18. 15Stiftgasse

As it's a damp Sunday afternoon and I've got nothing better to do, I've taken a couple more pics of other bits & bats in the cabinet - which you might perhaps find interesting. I know it's a bit of a mish-mash, but nowadays, I'm happy to get anything I can. I increasingly find that the vast majority of Chinese ceramics are either (i) a copy - or if indeed genuine, either (ii) unattractive or (iii) seriously overpriced.
    Regards.

P1050989.JPG P1050991.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted