Featured Complete mystery???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by F Green, Feb 20, 2020.

1. F Green

F Green Member

ok this is a complete mystery! I thought possibly German but can’t find anything to support this.

Fingers crossed someone may shed a light...
    AA4F3AF4-94D2-4B11-A068-DE2DC38E0AA5.jpeg E1C3489B-3F65-446B-8F6C-324421D7778C.jpeg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. F Green

F Green Member

Gosh that’s amazing! I did look through the various German marks but didn’t spot it! Thank you so very much

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

For a pitcher with feet, you sure are intelligent!

5. Vickie Costello

Vickie Costello New Member

Items marked "Foreign". The Congress of the United States passed the McKinley Tariff Act on October 1, 1890. It imposed tariffs on imports and demanded that the name of the country or origin be stamped or printed on items imported into the United States. Beginning in 1893, every item that was imported into the United States had to be marked "Foreign". Due to a revision in 1914, all items after 1923 had to be marked with a complete mark. If any item was not marked according to the law, it would be turned back at customs. However, the act was revised in two steps: the first revision replaced "FOREIGN" with the true country of origin,based that Great Britain had already forced Germany to use "Made in Germany". The second step included Japan and Czechoslovakia. Since then, "Foreign" is no longer being used.

F Green, judy, UncleChuckTX and 2 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Well, except. German stuff imported into the UK after WW1 was very often marked Foreign, as there was a resistance to things German. After WW2, same thing happened with German and Japanese stuff.

F Green, judy, DragonflyWink and 5 others like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HA!!!!! SHE'S a WHIZZZZZZ at this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):)

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My neck feels MUCH better!!! And it's very nice!!:singing::singing:

AA4F3AF4-94D2-4B11-A068-DE2DC38E0AA5.jpeg

UncleChuckTX, i need help and F Green like this.
  9. F Green

F Green Member

So much knowledge here! I’m going to bottle it! #ebay

ulilwitch likes this.
  10. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

11. Msalicia

12. Msalicia

I’m sorry. I’m trying to post a pic of a pair of vases/urns that I have with the same face and marking but not the foreign word. I think the post that it is Marzi and Remi is correct. I have only done part research on mine and the name Gerz and possibly Merkelbach Wick came up too. Mine is salt glaze and it looks as if yours may be also. I’ve seen similar and the prices can be in the hundreds.

i need help likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Another "except." I have never seen "Foreign" on items imported to the US in the period mentioned above, much less a "rule" that required it. Could we ask where that quote came from, please?

For some reason I am not able to "tag" Vickie Costello.

F Green, judy, Ownedbybear and 2 others like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@
    Heres instructions for posting photos:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/making-a-post-and-uploading-pictures.16038/

You might need to re-size first.

15. Msalicia

Thank you. I have posted pics b-4 but my issue was my phone photo had not downloaded to my tablet file yet so I could not retrieve it. It will when I shut down tablet probably. I’m also new with using this Air pro vs laptop air. Plus a pencil !

16. i need help

You can try from your phone directly, if it’s Smartphone.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

17. Msalicia

i need help likes this.
  18. Msalicia

Ok I figured out how to send the pic of the pair I have with similar markings. A4EA558B-7082-48B5-9411-EFD77463BE87.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  19. i need help

20. Msalicia

I’m sorry it came out sideways I did not take it that way. Why speechless? You have offered great advise so far. Thank you.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted