Featured coral or not ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Fid, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not too sure about this item; well, how should I ?
    please give me your opnions, ta.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, wenna, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Czech coral glass. They made faux coral just as nicely as malachite glass etc.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    judy, Christmasjoy, stracci and 5 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree, nice pin. Glass, not coral.

judy, Christmasjoy, stracci and 3 others like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thritto for Czech coral glass :joyful:;)

judy, Christmasjoy, stracci and 5 others like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thank you all, good night.

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh, lovely glass beads AND made to look like coral.Gorgeous.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could be older from the script on Czecho-slovakia. even Jugendstil perhaps. asking price 8 €, justified if old and from around Jablonec I think.

judy, Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There is a lady on the Facebook page Vintage jewellery of Bohemia who lives out that way and knows so much about Czech glass. She may be able to date it for you? I'd snap it up at 8€ but I have a huge weakness for old glass beads. Don't think you can lose for that price. If you don't like it when it arrives I'll buy it from you:hilarious::hilarious:

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've just looked at it again and it could possibly be a Neiger piece. Are the beads in cones?, tricky to see without a sideways shot. Also that serrated edge around the cabochons is another pointer. I don't know enough about it to be sure but they did a cones and coronets line( or something like that). If so you could be quids in as there are voracious Neiger collectors out there.

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

The price seems fine to me, and yes it is from Jablonec or thereabouts.

The date is later than Jugendstil though (Sezession in Bohemia, just like in Austria ;)). By definition it has to be post-independence, so post WWI. The hyphenated spelling was used in the early years, 1918-1920, and again in 1938-39.
    Given the general look and the clasp I am leaning towards the later period, but I could be wrong. @Ownedbybear probably knows.

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thanks a lot. just caught my eye on my daily research for Jugendstil. I think I could go for it at 8 - 10 €. it's good to know what it is and even better to know what it is not.;)
    somewhere I have another thingy that should be coral; but I have to dig it up first. seems not the time for selling stuff anyways, but rather to make a bargain here and there.:)

judy and kyratango like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

It has a pretty generic 'Gürtler' look, always pretty. But not the specific Neiger design look imo. Neiger metalwork is pretty recognizable, and often uses oxidized details.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

found it. a ring. probably Italian.
    kor1 (1024x793).jpg
    kor2 (1024x942).jpg kor3 (1024x851).jpg

if you could ask that lady - would be brilliant. I'm not on facebook.

judy, KSW and kyratango like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Gorgeous ring, fid.
    The coral is certainly Mediterranean red, but isn't that a Birmingham mark (anchor)? Can't see the other marks very well.

judy and kyratango like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

kor5.JPG
    best I can do with additional lens and without cognac...

17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Will do :)

judy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Wow, just imagining what you can do with cognac.:playful:
    It still looks like the Birmingham anchor, and the lion passant next to it. Which would mean silver, goldplated.
    There is something odd about the marks though. Some Asian countries used UK marks, that could be it. Maybe one of the others can make more sense of it.

All in all an attractive ring with a nice piece of coral. Whoever made it, the look is good.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

20. Any Jewelry

The Neugablonz manufacture is pretty well-known and although some lines are inspired by antique styles, it is different from the Jablonec/Gablonz styles. I think they knew they wouldn't be able to compete with Jablonec, and tried a slightly different approach.
    Neugablonz is also known for manufacturing glass cameos in the most horrendous colours and for rather tinny looking faux Modernist jewellery.

There is probably more confusion in dating old and recent jewellery from Jablonec/Gablonz, since they kept manufacturing some of the old styles.

Draft saved Draft deleted