Featured Dag W/ Mark?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, May 23, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!

So I got an interesting question...

I was cleaning some Dags I just purchased and one of them has a mark in the corner.

I have never seen this on any Dag I've bought so was wondering if anyone else had?

Thank you as always!
    Warm Regards,
    Scanitc IMG_8810.JPG hkhk.jpeg

cxgirl, Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ha! A French silverplate mark - A. Gaudin is the maker. Is that on a frame?

3. Bakersgma

The 40 stands for 40 grams. This article from 925-1000 explains the European use of numbers on silverplate. Since it started out with the number of grams of silver used in plating flatware pieces, I'm not certain how the equivalence works on things like this.

http://www.925-1000.com/a_platenumbers.html

4. ScanticAntiques

It's on the Dag itself, which I find odd. It was hidden under the gold matting.

5. ScanticAntiques

6. Bakersgma

Yay! And there's your man A. Gaudin right at the top of the list!

7. ScanticAntiques

How very strange, I guess you learn something new every single day! Haha

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

9. Bakersgma

Gaudin, not Saint-Gaudens.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Ah! 'in' not 'en'. :)

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

How are you cleaning them? :coldfeet: You do know that damage can happen extremely easily, don't you? I don't know your level of expertise, so am just asking.

There are even some cleaning methods that at first seem to work but later lead to irreparable deterioration and damage.

And also, could you show the image on this one? I love looking at these.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. ScanticAntiques

Well I don't actually clean the Dag itself, more of a seperating it from the glass (usually taped on) and then cleaning the interior glass and the case setting. Many of the times the majority of staining / wear is on the interior glass. Which If you give it a good cleaning and make sure to let it dry fully, seems to be enough to keep them safe. I got a couple I've cleaned and had for over a year so it looks to not damage them in anyway. I just really make sure not to touch the side that has the image with anything. I use a air-can to blow off any dust that may be on it. It's a lot less delicate than one would think. Especially when you've done it a bunch of times. I must admit, my first adventure into it was scary, but after about 100+ cleanings it's become less stressful lol

cxgirl, Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  13. ScanticAntiques

Oop! Here is the entire thing after being cleaned :) IMG_8818.JPG

14. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

ScanticAntiques, I'm just curious but . . .

It strikes me as a bit unusual that the woman's hand on the right side of the photo as we are seeing it appears to be clenched and that "perhaps" her index and middle fingers are "fused" (injury or at birth????). Is that just an illusion?

I paid greater attention to that hand because it is so far (to my way of thinking) removed from the child (as in no attempt to touch even ever so slightly the child with that hand or even one of its fingers).

Again, just curious.

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  15. Figtree3

Thanks for showing the whole photo! And thanks also for allaying my concerns. It looks like a previous owner did something to the surface, because I see small "wipe" lines going across. They don't look too bad, though, in that they are not that prominent.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Figtree3

I suspect that is just a trick of the angle of the photograph that ScanticAntiques took, or possibly the angle of the original photo. That whole area looks less clear than their faces do.

17. ScanticAntiques

Not a problem, many times the tape that I find on them is C.1940's - 1960's. Old, crusty papery tape. (of all different colors) But certainly not of the time period. So it seems they got opened over the years and cleaned. I'm usually just trying to get rid of hair or stains on the glass.

We really saved one this weekend! Absolutely adorable image of mother and child, child holding a stuffed sheep toy. (Dag) It was in a frame that had blue corrosion all over it, as well as a matting that had become corroded. (the matting was glued to the glass) Got rid of the all that and replaced the Dag matting and frame, then put it back in it's case and it looks like a million bucks.

The thing was inches from death lol :)

I'll have to post some pics of the matting it came out of. And the after look. Too bad I didn't take a photo of it prior to it's cleaning! :)

18. ScanticAntiques

Here is a better image of the hand.

Can't tell honestly! IMG_8833.JPG

19. yourturntoloveit

Thank you for that last photo, ScanticAntiques.

It looks like Figtree was correct -- it was an angle-trick.

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  20. yourturntoloveit

ScanticAntiques, I can hardly wait until you post the child holding a stuffed sheep toy.;)

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted