Featured Dante's Inferno - Gustave Dore

Discussion in 'Books' started by Joe2007, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I thought that this antique copy of Dante's Inferno was particularly good quality, so I won the bid and brought it home. It doesn't have a printing date inside, but it appears to have some age. Was looking on eBay and old copies of Dante's Inferno apparently seem to sell very well. I can't seem to find any comparable to this book on Abe Books, eBay, or anywhere else for that matter. Wanted to get your thoughts on my $27.50 (+ tax) investment/addition to my hoard.

Thanks,
    Joe

BOOK - Dante's Inferno Gustave Dore pic1.jpg BOOK - Dante's Inferno Gustave Dore pic2.jpg BOOK - Dante's Inferno Gustave Dore pic3.jpg

Figtree3, Ex Libris, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Well,Dore died in 1883 (at 51!) so it was at least before 1883. Its a lovely book.Id guess 1870s ,but thats just a guess.I read that ages ago for a college class but darned if I remember anything about it!

judy, pearlsnblume and Potteryplease like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

illustrated with the designs of........

is that the same as ....... illustrated by ... ?

judy, pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, P.F. Collier started his publishing company, in part, by purchasing the printing plates of a book from another publisher and reprinting it in (what one assumes) a less expensive version. I expect that's what the OP's edition is.

Debora

8. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

Collier is usually a reprinter; in this case, Cassell is the earlier publisher, of better quality, but Doré illustrated books are always in demand and often in poor shape. You got a good deal.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I believe that Dore did his designs in ink washes, but they were engraved by others and, as I recall, principally the Dalziel Brothers.

Printing plates, once made, can travel around a lot, and last a long time.

johnnycb09 and 2manybooks like this.
  10. Alex12

Alex12 New Member

The book is preserved in very, very good condition, where can I get one for my collection?);)

Draft saved Draft deleted