Featured Dating for Copeland Spode Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by OldWhitby, Oct 14, 2022.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

This plate is in immaculate condition so I've been inclined to think it is relatively new. Everything on this plate appears to be hand painted.

I did an image search and the closest I could find was one for sale in England which had the identical centre element but a different border. The seller was asking £100 and she dated it to 1912. In general, prices for Spode ranged from a few dollars to several hundred.

So I decided to try and date my plate and found that the mark on the back was used from 1891 onwards. However there are a few red marks on the back which may help. One is a number "R4104" with something underneath it and the other is a small arrow with 3 dots. Hopefully somebody can decipher these marks.

Image023.jpg Image028.jpg Image030.jpg Image031.jpg

2. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness!! I could have owned that plate for 400 years, and I would NEVER have done more, with or to it, than stare at it!

judy and NewEngland like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

This mark was used from 1904 to 1954, given the style it very likely dates pre WW2 and is probably prior to the 1920's. The number on the back will be the pattern number and the arrow device a piecework mark

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is this what's referred to as "fancy bird"?

judy and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agree on the number and symbol. It looks right for early 20th too.

judy and ulilwitch like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

"Chelsea bird", I think.

kentworld, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted