Featured Did not expect this child's 1960s link bracelet to have a gold stamp

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I purchased a child's 14K lightweight name necklace at a private sale a few days ago (necklace not shown) and the owner said, "why don't you take this bracelet too." Was thinking I'd instantly donate it, but at home noticed the 14K on the clasp. Definitely from the 1960s, I purchased from Lois who was 60-ish and she said it was hers as a child.

Not thinking huge money here, I might even disassemble and see if I can sell the clasp which looks solidly made if someone could use it. But have a question. Is there any chance the links in this bracelet would be gold? If marked like that in the 1960s, would the tradition have been that all metal was gold?

gold1.jpg

gold3.jpg

gold5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    KSW, kyratango, lovewrens and 6 others like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

How sweet!
    To my non-expert eyes, the "links" look like gold (wire), too. :)

KSW, kyratango, lovewrens and 6 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look gold to me too.:)
    And I would expect it to be all gold, but I am in Europe, where we have legal requirements.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... I would think all gold because customized. Would have come from a jewelry store. Strange though that the beads are blue.

Debora

5. Any Jewelry

Lois' favourite colour?

KSW, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's one similar. Pink beads. Name consistent with a mid-century date.

Debora

8409131352_0de4e47fb9_b.jpg

KSW, kyratango, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thanks, Debora. Did that similar one above say 14K for the whole thing (the links)?

KSW, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting that Lois a French male name.

Debora

KSW, wlwhittier and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Except they spell it Loïs.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No information for the pink example I posted. Found it on Flickr. Agree re spelling but... If bracelet bought in U.S., wouldn't have had accents.

Debora

KSW, wlwhittier and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Probably not.;) It could still be a girl's bracelet though, it looks like it is for a girl, and not all girls like pink, I never did.

12. Lucille.b

It was definitely a woman (orig owner named Lois) who sold it to me, plus I don't think little boys were wearing bracelets like this back then. Always exceptions, but my brother would not have been caught dead in something like this.

I did wonder about the blue, too. Good point this could have been a made-to-order. Maybe little Lois had a say in the colors when it was made and she chose blue.

KSW, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think a jeweller made this over from the tiny bracelet they would put on the wrist of newborns. My own has blue beads. I've never seen one in pink before now.

KSW, kyratango, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  14. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The pic of the ring-clasp on your fingertip is the kind of close-up I strive in vain to achieve, Lucille...Bravo!

KSW, Lucille.b, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I had my hospital baby-beads and used them in a liquid siver bracelet I made in the mid '70s - they had only my surname with pink beads...

~Cheryl

KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  16. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

There's a female Lois in my relatives.

KSW likes this.
  17. Lucille.b

Are you looking to purchase a 14K child's bracelet (6.5") for her? (wink, wink!)

KSW, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

She definitely doesn't have that size wrist anymore!

And she hated the name so goes by her middle instead. :D

KSW, kyratango and Lucille.b like this.
  19. Lucille.b

So what to do with this bracelet? I'm honestly thinking it means taking the whole thing apart, every little link, for the gold pieces for melt. Maybe $30-40 of melt?? I don't think has much resale as is. The plastic letter beads are kind of cheap, and I'd have to find a Lois. It probably has more value as melt.

mirana and wlwhittier like this.
  20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My mother saved the plastic beaded B-O-Y (blue) and G-I-R-L (pink) bracelets she received for myself and my siblings at the hospital in the 1950s/60s. Definitely NOT gold, LOL!

KSW and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted