Featured Do you think this is really Hattie Carnegie?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 30, 2024.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_4121.jpeg IMG_4122.jpeg IMG_4123.jpeg IMG_4124.jpeg IMG_4125.jpeg IMG_4126.jpeg
    Hi,
    I purchased these separately. The earrings are only marked Pat 156452 for the clip mechanism or something close. The pin is marked as shown but it looks like I see evidence of glue on the one edge. I’ve heard people attach the cartouches to make something more desirable or more expensive but I’ve never ran into this before Do you think these are really HC? The only thing that comes up is the ad that I got the brooch from. I don’t find any other examples other than the earrings that someone has listed without a maker.

Thank you for your help

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

In addition to Mirana's link, I would say the quality and style looks like what one would expect for Hattie Carnegie.

You purchased these separately? Lucky find to bring them together.

Figtree3, Marko, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks good from here.........

Figtree3 and gauntlettgems like this.
  5. gauntlettgems

The mink road @mirana is where I got the brooch to match the earrings. I was just worried that someone applied the cartouche to the pin as opposed to it having come that way. I see glue

komokwa likes this.
  6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Aaah okay. Definitely out of my expertise.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  7. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

8. gauntlettgems

9. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

(a lot of Hattie Carnegie fakes have the cartouche with the name just stuck on a newer piece)

Figtree3 and gauntlettgems like this.
  10. gauntlettgems

Ok, ty

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Another point, I know China is faking vintage brooches, but didn't think they are/were faking vintage clip earrings, since few people wear clips anymore, so thinking this set is more likely vintage whether Hattie Carnegie or not. Also, looks like a higher quality costume piece from the photos with that glass work and design. Hattie Carnegie did a ton of jewelry in brushed goldtone and jade colored glass.

But other vintage costume makers made goldtone brooches with jade colored glass too, so the question in my mind is whether someone glued the cartouche on vintage piece.

Was initially thinking this was likely to be HC, but one clue to maybe suggest that it is not HC is that I think that they signed their clip earrings. I just looked at 7 signed HC demi-parures on Ebay and all the earrings were signed. I didn't do an exhaustive search, so might be something to look into.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Figtree3, mirana and gauntlettgems like this.
  12. gauntlettgems

I know there are a lot of fakes and repros coming out of China. This piece does not give me those vibes. I can usually tell when I pick the item up that something is off. I do actually believe that this is an actual vintage piece. Not sure if the person selling added the glue because the plaque was lifted on one edge or what. I’ve not been able to come up with anything else so it will likely remain a gorgeous mystery piece.

I appreciate all of the help! ❤️

Draft saved Draft deleted