Featured Does Anyone Know Where I Could Get A Replacement Upholstery Pillow For Inside This Old Wooden Box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Hi, that looks nice and while it won't be a perfect match it will look nice, let us know how it's all going :)

KSW and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  2. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

I definitely will. I am so nervous about screwing this up, but will give it a try, lol.

KSW, kyratango and Poisonivy like this.
  3. Poisonivy

Good luck :)

KSW, SYNCHRONCITY and kyratango like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

In the video linked, the man appears to use polyester quilt batting for the padding. Cotton batting is available, too. A nice box lining would be a silk moire fabric:

[​IMG]

KSW, SYNCHRONCITY and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks for your reply. Ooh! That fabric has a beautiful pattern. Darn! I already purchased the ruby red satin fabric before seeing your post. For padding, I have a thick, 12" wide roll of Curity 1st aid non sterile cotton roll. The type you use for first aid. I'll see if that would work for padding. Hopefully, I can make it useful and if it doesn't work, I'll purchase the stuffing you mentioned.

KSW and bluumz like this.
  6. Poisonivy

The fabric you chose is a nice match though for texture, the Moire is really nice but has a different weave :)

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The stuff you bought ought to work fine. I'd have used cotton quilt batting on something like this too, but the first aid cotton will do if you're not beating up the box. It tends to flatten out eventually. I have part of a roll of really thick upholstery batting sitting here if you get stuck, and all sorts of bits of the other kind too in both cotton and synthetic. No wool, probably just as well.

SYNCHRONCITY and KSW like this.
  8. SYNCHRONCITY

I got the box today and worked on the interior. The first aid cotton stuffing worked well as padding. The fabric does not match the lid interior color exactly, but it is not so bad. While I definitely did not do a professional job, I think it looks so much better.

It was filthy dirty and covered in soot and nicotine or pipe tobacco stains. I used some Murphy's Oil Soap to clean it and you should have seen the filth that came off of it.

Inside were remnants of an old French newspaper glued to the interior. The name of the newspaper was L'Univers Illustré Journal Hebdomadaire. There was an ad on it for a store called Gasins De La Ville De Saint-Denis advertising layettes and trousseaux. I found out this newspaper was a French current affairs newspaper that operated weekly which appeared from 1858 to 1912, after an interruption between 1902 and 1910 by merging with La Vie Illustrée. So this helps to date my box. I feel that the box is circa 1860's-1890's, because of what appears to be hand made dovetails on the sides, but I could be wrong.

I did not have a suitable antique key for it, so for now I carved out a replica key on my dremel to fit the box's lock and it now locks and opens the box. The key is too long for the box, so it looks a little funny but it is good for now.

I am in love with this old box and am so glad I was able to buy it. Thanks to everyone who helped me. I appreciate each and every one of you :joyful:

FRENCH JEWELRY BOX 1.jpg FRENCH JEWELRY BOX 2.jpg FRENCH JEWELRY BOX 3.jpg FRENCH JEWELRY BOX 4.jpg FRENCH JEWELRY BOX 5.jpg FRENCH JEWELRY BOX 6.jpg FRENCH JEWELRY BOX 7.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Nice job!!!

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  10. SYNCHRONCITY

Thank you very much. I appreciate that :joyful:

11. Poisonivy

What a difference, you did a lovely job on it :)

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  12. SYNCHRONCITY

That means a lot to me because you are the master at fixing these old boxes. Thanks for saying that :happy:

13. Poisonivy

You're welcome :)

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted