Featured Doll's Bed Quilt.....

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Aquitaine, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi All! I have a doll's bed quilt that I believe was done sometime in the later 1800s on Block Island, by some one of the BI women.....each square is approximately 1/2" in size. The size of the quilt is 16" by 19 & 1/2", and the dollar bill helps show the size. The history is that in 1905 the Steamer "Spartan" ran aground off Block Island. She was also carrying bolts and bolts and bolts of Calico fabric in many colors. When that washed ashore, it was all salvaged and washed by the women, and dried on a HUGE hill which to this day is called "Calico Hill". From what I also gather, the BI women were nicely attired in lovely calico dresses!!!! In 1960, sometime after my Mom had acquired the little quilt, her very "senior" friend who did all kinds of sewing, sewed the backing with some remaining calico fabric remnants from the Spartan that she still had!!! I Love the quilt and plan on having it "shadow box" type framed with the post card I have of the Spartan by a well respected Art store/Framer. I am assuming this may have some either collector or historic value???????? Thank YOU for any/all input!!!!

I imagine it MIGHT help if I posted the pictures!!!!!

DollsQuilt16x19-andHalf.jpg SteamerSPARTAN.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Can we see it?

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

HA!!!! You beat me to my error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

:)
    LOVE IT!!!!

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Thanks King, I do too....will have to print up the story that goes along with it when I get it 'framed'!!!!

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

each square is approximately 1/2" in size

Aquitaine, that quilt is absolutely delightful!

Can you image what a pain it must have been to piece all those tiny squares together??? I've done more than my share of patchwork quilts, but never with pieces anywhere near that small! Very cool, for sure.

Were it mine, I'd be framing it, too!

7. KingofThings

No cable tv...
    And maybe their hands were quite small. :)

Aquitaine and lauragarnet like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was a "thing" for a while, and some quilters still do it. I have a vest made mostly of squares that are 1x1 inch. (and no I didn't make it) It's a test of skill, dexterity, and sanity.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  9. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

That's so sweet.

KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Thanks, PIvy!! I really wanted to get past the holidays before taking it in for an estimate on the framing.....I have a pretty good idea it will be at least a couple of hundred.....but I want it done 'right' too!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

The third of which I would absolutely LOSE if I even thought of trying anything THAT small!!!!!!!!!!!:banhappy::banghead:

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Yes it will be worth it, You most likely know this already but just in case make sure they use acid free backing inside the frame to mount the quilt on.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

What a lovely quilt:) Thanks for sharing this!
    What a great piece of history - maybe print that information out and tuck it into the frame for future generations.

14. Aquitaine

Absolutely!!!! And Thanks!!!!

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Wow - what a beautiful and absolutely adorable little quilt!

16. Aquitaine

Thanks Book.....hoping to finally get to it in the next few weeks!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love both the quilt and the story that goes with it!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted