Featured Dolls dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by wcubed, Dec 1, 2019.

1. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

According to family history, this dolls dresser was made by a farmhand. I'm guessing early 1900's? It looks like there were some letters attached above the mirror at one point, but the initials wouldn't match up with either female child during that time period. It stands about 37" high.

My wife uses it for some of her jewelry, and misc. storage now.

The top part with the two smallest drawers and the mirror just sits on top of the bottom part.

doll dresser 1.jpg
    doll dresser 2.jpg
    doll dresser 3.jpg
    doll dresser 4.jpg
    doll dresser 5.jpg
    doll dresser 6.jpg

Before I put the dresser back completely, I decided to pull all the drawers out and get a picture of the bottom. Made out of crates, etc!

doll dresser 8.jpg
    doll dresser 7.jpg

The one curious thing I found wedged in a crevice of the dresser was a 10 Groszy coin from 1840, which is the year the main farmhouse was built. That side of the family is Dutch, not Polish. Perhaps that's a hint as to the nationality of the farmhand. Pure conjecture at this point.

10 groszy 1840 front.jpg
    10 groszy 1840 back.jpg

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would guess earlier, ca. 1880 or so. Of "folk" manufacture and charming.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Neat item & coin !!!!
    I once found a coin in a pound of Jamaican green......
    but that's a story for another time !!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a charming piece ! I think its too finely crafted to be homemade,and I have seen other stuff like it over the years so maybe some company manufactured them?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I see what you mean...but I also see a skilled amateur hand at work here.....
    the fit is well done but the finish.....less so.!

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think older. Styling suggests circa 1870. The wishbone mounted mirrors were pretty much out by 1880.

Bronwen and wcubed like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I get the 1870, but allowed for a few years for dissemination of stylistic elements to the "folk" level. In any case, 1870-1880.

verybrad, Bronwen and wcubed like this.
  8. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

I had to look up the family genealogy again. Great grandmother was born in 1873. Her initials were AHC, so this was hers. The glue remaining on the wood was throwing me off at first as the first letter looked like a blocky looking S, but looking at it again just now, I can see how it can be a blocky A. The last letter is definitely an almost closed C. Excess glue blurred the lines.

Ghopper1924, judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

You guys know your stuff. One of these days I'll drag out the Mission Oak chair and table I have, and put some pictures up to see what you think.

On a side note, keeping up with style wasn't a strong point for my ancestors. There were still Cannonball rope beds in the guest rooms at the farm in the 1990's when we finally sold the contents we didn't keep and sold the farm.

James Conrad, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted