Featured EAPG goblets - need help with patterns please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Apr 30, 2023.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The GW near me must have gotten an estate with some true antiques a couple of weeks ago. A friend bought several items that were true antiques that he is keeping in his collection. I got these 6 c.1800s EAPG goblets for 74 cents each after my 25% senior discount among some other stuff.

I have managed to find information on 4 of them but for the other 2, I need some assistance & was hoping @TallCakes or anyone else could help me out.

For the first 4, I know the maker, dates, etc. but if you have anything else you would like to add feel free. :happy::happy:

The numbers 5 & 6 are the ones I need assistance.

#1 - O'Hara Glass c.1880 Horseshoe spooner. 6" to the side & 3 3/8" across the top.
    [​IMG]

#2 - U.S. Glass c.1898 Florida goblet. 5 5/8" to the side & 3 1/4" across the top.
    [​IMG]

#3 - Adams & Co. c.1876 Liberty Bell water goblet from the Philadelphia Worlds Fair. 6 1/8" to the side edge & 3 1/4" across the top.
    [​IMG]

#4 - Unknown Maker 1876 Centennial water goblet from the Philadelphia Worls Fair. 6 1/4" to the side edge & 3 1/8" across.
    [​IMG]

#5 - I believe this could be Seneca Loop but am not sure at all. It is much heavier than the others weighing 1 lb. 3 oz. all by itself. It is 5 1/8" to the side edge & 4 1/8" across the top. The reference book I am using is Early American Pattern Glass 2nd Edition by Darryl Reilly & Bill Jenks refers to a "gentleman's & lady's goblet" but gives no dimensions. :grumpy::grumpy:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#6 - My reference shows a Honeycomb pattern goblet on page 251 but again has no dimensions to compare to this one. :grumpy: It is 5 3/4" to the side edge & is 3 1/8" across the top.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

judy, Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    judy, Figtree3, Lucille.b and 6 others like this.
  3. bercrystal

@TallCakes - Thank you so much!! I very much appreciate your help!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

I think you are correct about the honeycomb goblet being made by Lyon & Co. It does concern me that they list the height at 5 1/2" & this one is 5 5/8".

The other thing I noticed about this piece is that it only has 2 mold lines whereas the other goblets have 3 mold lines. Could this one be a later reproduction? :confused:

As far as the Loop piece it looks like that one is not a goblet but is a sugar bowl without its lid. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy and TallCakes like this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I have no personal experience with goblets but an 1/8" measurement difference might be attributed to simple accuracy variations or result of different makers. The number mold lines are typically determined by design complexity and often go unnoticed depending on how well they were polished out.

was just trying to match according to the image I see; these stemmed sugars sans lids are easily confused with goblets. The weight you mention might support an earlier flint glass production line.

bercrystal and judy like this.
  5. bercrystal

Thank you again for all of your help!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted