Featured Egyptian jewelry mark/hallmark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Dec 30, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

E3B8239E-31C8-4A47-B2E2-DC9AD1518706.jpeg 7F6131E3-AAC1-4B78-A215-9B524DE52233.jpeg 37652822-1F51-410B-8227-F2A7BBBFD18C.jpeg B6C10A81-5B7C-4497-AAE5-4A0E8A76BE03.jpeg
    FA60FA58-52DA-44FB-91CD-8DF15AB4B754.jpeg
    Just found this little pin/brooch in a big bag lot from an auction a couple years ago. It’s Egyptian in origin. Had been saving the bag for a rainy day at my families home. Nothing like an un-searched bag of jewelry when you need a little thrill, lol. Have gone through a couple handfuls while visiting the last couple nights. I actually have some Egyptian silver and some Egyptian gold so I’m somewhat familiar with their hallmarks. This one I’m unsure. It looks like it could be low purity gold. I know they are known for using high purity gold so not sure what to think there. It could be a vermeil type process I guess. It could just be a date or maker mark? It looks like a 300 but may not be. It’s not a full set of hallmarks that’s for sure. Any help appreciated.

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I'm reading that the other way around.

upload_2021-12-30_9-46-36.jpeg

upload_2021-12-30_9-46-1.png

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume, J Dagger, Fid and 4 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like gilt brass to me, which wouldn't be marked. I think Davey is right, it looks like a number. Probably a manufacturer's code, either for the model of the brooch, or for the pin.
    Period probably 1920s-30s.

4. Any Jewelry

J Dagger, Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. daveydempsey

The 2 Milliemes stamp depicting Cleoptra was first issued in 1921 so anytime after that date

6. Any Jewelry

I thought it was Isis.:hilarious: But of course Egyptian kings and queens were deified.;)

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  7. daveydempsey

J Dagger, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I don't know how you waited so long to dive into that bag of jewelry!!!
    I usually do it in the car immediately after paying!

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's interesting that the maker didn't just use real stamps.

pearlsnblume, J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Maybe it was prohibited to use them for anything other than postal.

pearlsnblume, J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Doesn't seem likely. Pictorial stamps such as these were produced with collectors in mind pretty much from the time that stamps were first introduced.

Here's the whole series (from eBay):
    stamp Egypt 1921.jpg

J Dagger, Fid and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I thought it was Hathor.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. J Dagger

I think the enamel would probably hold up better.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. J Dagger

daveydempsey and Bronwen like this.
  15. J Dagger

Gilt brass makes sense! I figured that was the approximate era. Another post somewhere online mentioned they were sold by a museum gift shop in Egypt. Not sure if that can be verified but I’ll check more into it.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  16. J Dagger

Ha! It was part of a literal van full of auction winnings I had to drop off there. Meant to buy a little gold/silver that would fit in my pocket. Instead I filled a van. I’m pretty patient though. As soon as I put one thing down I buy another so there’s always something new to look at anyway.

stracci and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

[​IMG]

I'm not so sure about the 1; looks like the inner edge of the cartouche to me.

Roaring20s and stracci like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

This could be an explanation why she doesn't look like Cleopatra, who was after all Ptolemaeic, so Macedonian:

"During her reign in Egypt, Cleopatra strongly connected herself to the Egyptian goddess Isis. This served to legitimize her rule and to connect her with the native religion of her people."
    https://scholarship.tricolib.brynmawr.edu/handle/10066/21507

Can't imagine a Macedonian queen being bare-chested though.:confused: I suppose that would be artistic licence....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    stracci and Bronwen like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I meant, not allowed to be used as decoration on souvenirs etc. Stamp collectors buy them as stamps, not as brooches.;)

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Bronwen

Not in many generations. Have to imagine Cleopatra VII was well integrated, if not assimilated, into Egyptian ways.

Although her allure is legendary, as nearly as we can tell, she was not a beauty. A gal has to have her little tricks.

Any Jewelry and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted