Featured Enormous glass and pewter stein jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, May 24, 2021.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Think it is reasonably modern but had not seen anything this big in glass and pewter before. Not sure what the german says yet. As usual no marks anywhere. Seen any other glass ones this big?
    Data
    46.5cm high, base 14cm diameter
    inner - 31cm deep, 8.6cm diameter
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

German/Austrian/Bohemian - similar to some Moser tankards I have sold. with applied prunts - those were mostly 19th c.

Siblye, KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  3. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

"Springt ein Gläschen Dir entzwei,
    Kaufe Dir ein Neues;
    Hattest Du ein falsches Lieb,
    Suche Dir ein Treues."

Roughly, with zero attempt at poetry:

"If your glass breaks in two,
    Buy yourself a new one;
    If your lover was inconstant,
    Find one who's faithful."

Here's the same text on a similarly coloured (but otherwise rather different) set of glassware:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/152851742588

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could indeed be a Fritz Heckert wine ewer; feeling a bit uneasy about the bottom - looks as if it's filled with some unknown mass - to hide a damage ?

5. Miscstuff

Hamburger, Fid and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

There looks like writing or a letter scratched on the white base?

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Base filling looks like plaster. I’ve always got those type of broken air bubbles when I’ve used it.

i need help likes this.
  8. Miscstuff

The bottom of the glass seems to have a spike of glass protruding downward and is supported by two pewter rings that are locked to the glass spike by plaster. Another possibility is the inner ring is glass not pewter. That would be easirer to arrange. Begining to suspect it came loose and was restored recently. Thoughts?
    aaaaa.JPG

9. Miscstuff

Amazing what you find when cleaning.
    G.Th.M (geBruder Thannhauser munchen) lid makers mark.
    12s.JPG

10. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

The following page on the brothers (Brüder/Gebrüder) Thannhauser of Munich shows a glass drinking vessel (near the bottom on the right) that has been "lidded by Thannhauser". It also says that the Thannhausers had glassmaking neighbours ("Theresienthaler Cristallglasfabrik Niederlage was situated next door at Kaufingerstraße 9"):

https://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein258

I haven't checked the above, but I believe Stein Marks is a well researched and reputable resource.

Miscstuff, anundverkaufen and Fid like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted