Featured Find of the week/month

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_6253.jpeg IMG_6254.jpeg IMG_6255.jpeg IMG_6257.jpeg IMG_6258.jpeg I had another amazing find this week.
    Look what arrived today: a real treasure, a Flemish Heart.
    I bought it for a really good price.
    It has nice size rose cut diamonds and senailles, set in a closed setting with foil behind.
    2 tiny senailles are missing, but all the rest of them are there.
    As I already mentioned in a previous post about these: the silver is all hand cut out of a metal sheet and the settings of the diamonds are souldered onto that.
    This one has a 'pijlbekroning': arrows on top, a love trophy.
    The diamond in the middle represents Saint Mary with her 10 virtues around it (Mine misses a tiny senaille there so only 9 virtues) :D
    These were usually a gift from children to their mothers around the 15th of August in the Antwerp region (St Mary ascension day?).
    I m currently still working on deciphering the marks, the one I could already decipher is a French boars head (1838-now).
    I would date this heart around 1850.
    For comparison I can show you another Flemish Heart with arrows, that one is a bit simpler from construction.

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Very interesting piece and history behind it! This is the kind of thing that would never show up where I live. Well, never say never... now I know what to look for. Thanks for sharing!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Congratulations, you lucky, lucky girl!:woot::woot::happy::kiss:
    A little faux pas on Mary's part?:angelic:
    Yes, the 15th of August is Maria Hemelvaart, known in English as Assumption Day.:)

4. Dessert58

AJ: purity, wisdom, humility, faith, devotion, obedience, poverty, patience, mercy and compassion

I dislike most of them. Wisdom, parience, mery and compassion may stay. The rest of them can go :hilarious:

kyratango, johnnycb09, mirana and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Understandable, and Mary clearly agreed on throwing out at least one of them.:joyful:

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can only wish some of those would turn up here, but they weren't exported.

I did find an ivory Mary statue in an estate sale once. I told the ladies she was perfect for me; her halo was busted. :p:p:p:p

Houseful, kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  7. Dessert58

Evelyb30, thats so hilarious!:hilarious:
    Yes, I chose wisely to be on the lookout for these as I m in the lucky position to be living in their country of origin.
    I m sure there are treasures in your part of the world that weren't exported too. :cat:

kyratango likes this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Kudos for your find!!!

Any Jewelry and Dessert58 like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Ha! Same for me:hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and Dessert58 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted