Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

PS: Yeah, the cornucopia is probably Seguso. I've a few of those geometric sommerso vases, rather like them.

Armando0831 likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe ? "Either Webb and Corbet or Stephens and Williams - English glass as the pressed and splayed feet are typical".

3. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I got this at a thrift store and it had no price on it I asked and the older lady said $20. I snatched it up fairly quickly. I may not know the artist but I could tell that talent and skill were used in the making of this. I contacted a professional wire sculpture artist and they looked at some photos and said it was from the 1940s -50s. They said a professional artist did that, hands down. They even advised me to hang on to it. I'm hanging on to it.

cxgirl likes this.
  4. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg Today has been a good day on finds. I found these two electroplated copper on glass. I am from the area where this artist is also from. The signatures match up perfectly. John Bell is a well known acclaimed artist across the country. A quick research will show his professional life. I contacted the person in charge with handling John's prints and he gave me John's wife's email. He advised me that John passed away in 2013. I was also told that John could not use his hands,wheelchair bond, so he painted with his teeth. John has been known to do some works on glass but it's rare that he does. I was advised that these pieces, which are in his early part of his career, more than likely are rare and very valuable. I'm waiting to hear from John's wife on an estimate on these pieces. These pieces areabout 14 inches in diameter.

UPDATE:

I received confirmation that these were done by John Bell of Ft. Smith, AR. His wife, Maxine, just sent me an email telling me that it's two mirrors of a lake near Paris, AR. They use to camp there a lot. He only did a handful of these electroplated mirrors. John did these when he still had use of his hands. Maxine said that the value for them are substantial, as for his original paintings are around $3K.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Aw nuts
    1205 ss 012.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:hilarious: $2 for a nut??

Is it solid silver?

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Armando0831, those wire pieces are very cool! I would have bought them too.
    $2 for a sterling nut Terry? wow, how much does it weigh?

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Is 2 quid nutty for a nut? If you wanted a silver-painted walnut, I've made those before. It's pretty simple. What do your professional squirrels say about the nut?

My find for the day was ...not much. I went to a church fair where they thought they were going to get $15 for a damaged sterling pendant. I did pay them fifty cents for a pair of plastic jewelry display hands.

9. terry5732

10. Bakersgma

11. terry5732

Mexican. Made for Lunt.

12. Bakersgma

Really. Maybe a different view of the impressions would help understand why you say that. Not that I think you're wrong. Just wonderin'.

13. terry5732

They don't photograph well. The circular stamp is very incomplete - all I can make out is JV for sure, then the early eagle with a 1, MEXICO, TAXCO, F NAVA, LUNT - with the L being nearly invisible.

14. Bakersgma

Not a whole lot of space there for a circle, that's for sure. Cool find!

15. terry5732

I didn't see any markings until I got home

It just felt good

16. evelyb30

An eagle with a 1 is Mexico City. You sure it's a 1 and not a 3? And people thought you were squirrely for buying it.

17. terry5732

It's definitely a 1
    1205 walnut 025a.jpg
    And this Taxco piece is for sure a 2
    1205 walnut 014a.jpg

18. Bakersgma

I've always been lucky with the "feels good" method too, Terry. :joyful:

19. Armando0831

image.jpg Here's what I found this evening. It's Fourth of July in December. Actually, working on the rail. It's much cooler at night.

20. evelyb30

That's a 2, Terry. I'm not sure where that was used, but I'm thinking some kind of regional thing. Bernice Goodspeed used it, but others did too. She was in Taxco, so it fits.

Draft saved Draft deleted