Found a safe with key

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by barryjhonson, Sep 2, 2020.

1. barryjhonson

barryjhonson New Member

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about this not much online the lock says Cyrus price & co patent lock

Attached Files:

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

komokwa and barryjhonson like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. barryjhonson

barryjhonson New Member

Any ideas on year or value ?

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Depends if it is full of jewellery or empty:joyful:
    The fact you have the key is a great plus!
    I don't know if it is collectable...

komokwa likes this.
  6. barryjhonson

barryjhonson New Member

Haha empty unfortunately but it’s a lovely piece of history wish I knew the background

kyratango likes this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I don't have a clue about value but I will say here in the U.S. these big old safes are in much more demand then they were 15-20 years ago when you couldn't give them away. Have been seeing antique safes sell for a few hundred dollars that you couldn't give away previously due to how difficult they are to move.

My grandfather bought a monstrous old store safe at an estate auction for $25, somehow got it home on a flatbed trailer and lowered it down the concrete steps of his walk in basement with his old farm tractor by himself. We just got there as the thing skidded down the last few steps and almost broke the chains, dragged the tractor into the basement. Don't know how it will ever leave that basement.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    barryjhonson and kyratango like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I love these old safes. For a safe to have any value (other than fire protection) it has to be near impossible to move. Unfortunately like others said that makes them a very tough sell. Have to have the right guy with the right buddies and right know how at the right time to buy it. I would probably try listing it at 150-200ish and see what happens. They don’t seem to move too quick around here. If you’ve got no rush it might get picked up eventually. Sometimes even when people are giving away the monsters they have a tough time. If this one still has good original paint it should be more marketable. Some have nice fancy insides which helps too. There’s a lot of coin and bullion collectors and a safe is necessary for them.

kyratango and barryjhonson like this.
  9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Remember that many of the old safes don't have very complex combinations. I think my grandfather's safe had a three digit combo. Not sure I'd trust it to hold items of great value.

J Dagger likes this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I sold one back in 2011. We used my husband's engine lift to get it into the guy's truck & since he was a friend of my son we let him use it to get out of the truck.

J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  11. bercrystal

I found my photos of my safe.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

The graphics on that safe are amazing! Do you recall how much you sold it for and if it was local pick-up (if not what was the shipping cost)?

13. bercrystal

It was a very cool piece. :cool::happy::happy: I even had the original combination for it so you could lock it up.

It was part of the contents of the watchmaker's workroom I bought back in 2011. It was a real SOB to get out to the truck from the house where the estate sale was being held because his workroom was located on the second floor with an unbelievably steep stairway. :jawdrop::jawdrop::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I sold it in 2012 for $275.00 to a friend of my son. He lived just down the street. We used my husband's engine lift to get the thing into his truck & then let him take it to his house so he could get it out of the truck. I am not sure if they put into the house or out in a garage or what, but my guess if they had to go up even 1 step to the house it went into some kind of outbuilding because the engine lift was on wheels so they could roll it to the spot where it was going to live. There was absolutely no moving this thing at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted