Featured Franz Joseph MZ Vase with mysterious date

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by magyarmart, Aug 18, 2022.

1. magyarmart

magyarmart New Member

20220818_182733-min.jpg 20220818_182741-min (1).jpg Hi - I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about this vase? It's stamped MZ Austria and obviously bears the image of Franz Joseph, the AustroHungarian emperor. I inherited it from my Viennese grandmother, who emigrated to the UK in 1950. She really wasn't one for antiques so I'm guessing she must have been sentimentally attached to the vase (just to bother bringing it overseas). Or then again, perhaps my (English) grandfather gave it to her as a canny gift to remind her of the fatherland!

Anyway I don't think MZ items are worth much and I don't really care as I'd never sell it. But one thing is confusing me: this website states that Moritz Zdekauer stopped using the "MZ Austria" mark (seen on this piece) in 1909, when the company changed ownership and started using the "MZ Altrolau" mark https://www.theoldstuff.com/en/porcelain-marks/category/161-mz-austria-marks Fair enough. But then why does this vase bear the years 1914/15? The presence of that date is why I'd always assumed the vase was from a later decade, perhaps harking back to the outbreak of WWI (Franz's defining moment, I suppose). 1915 is also noteworthy as all restruck Austrian gold ducat coins - which also bear Franz's image - continue to be backdated 1915. If there's a deeper significance to the year I'd love to know what it is. And either way, how could MZ have known it'd be an important year in 1909? (Unless it was an upcoming jubilee?)

I can't find any identical pieces on the internet. The closest I've found is this old floral vase which apparently sold on ebay, exactly the same shape, but IMO a much less interesting design: https://picclick.co.uk/Antique-MZ-Austria-Moritz-Zdekauer-Floral-Pattern-273194001629.html

If you have any thoughts please share :)

Cheers,

M

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2022
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Decoration could have been applied to old stock.

3. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Commemorative Emperor Franz Joseph vase related to 1914-1915 WWI events, lot happened then. He led Austria and Germany into WWI in 1914. In 1914 his cuz Ferdinand killed in Sarajevo. In 1915 Italy declared war to Austria.

judy likes this.
  4. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

MZ changing hands in 1909 doesn’t mean they immediately switch to new logo. It takes time. The company that I work for was sold 4 yrs ago and we still use stuff with old company logo. Btw, this vase may be made in todays Check republic that was part of Austria back then. You can check, have fun :)

judy likes this.
  5. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted