Featured French Maker's Mark Assistance, Please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The mark(s?) is on the side of the C clasp of this piece, which has been seen before in the Cameos thread:

Shepherdess Nest Cupids.PNG

Photos of the mark were taken with a USB microscope & not sure I can do any better. More light & there's too much glare; less is no improvement until it gets too dim to see it at all. Closer & farther from the lens take it even more out of focus. Partial maker's mark, possibly eagle head below it.
    Shepherdess Nest Cupids mark 1A.jpg Shepherdess Nest Cupids mark 1B.jpg

I won't taint your judgment with my speculations. I'm not sure whether or not all elements are letters.

All ideas welcome, even the silly ones.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Xristina, kyratango, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous brooch, Bronwen.
    Looks like the blob in the centre of the blur could be a feather or a leaf. R leaf A?

Did you check the links (alphabetical) to the directory of maker's marks at the top of this page?
    http://www.silvercollection.it/frenchhallmarks.html

kyratango, sabre123 and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

OK, I'll give a little. I see the center as a large capital C in a serif style. There may have been some little device on the far right that could have been really helpful.

I have been looking here:
    http://www2.culture.gouv.fr/public/...&REC_DOM=&LOCAT=&USRNAME=nobody&USRPWD=4$%34P

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Bronwen

Also possible it says Cie, which would be less help.

kyratango likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Thorvaldsen. :)

Shepherdess with a Nest of Cupids (see Cupid Seller).jpg

kyratango, Sandra and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course!:happy:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Found the eagle's head, farther down, almost at the base of the C-clasp:

upload_2019-12-18_10-2-49.png

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

While I can't help you with a mark, I would suggest that you get a magnifying app for your phone. The one I have is phenomenal at looking at the smallest thing, takes pictures and for the $1.99 version has an light. It is called magnifying glass +++ and has a blue background and magnifying glass. If you tell me what kind of phone you have then I'll find one for you.

IMG_4491 - Copy.JPG

9. Bronwen

That is really sweet of you. However, kind of phone: just bought a 4G flip phone. It has a camera, but I have yet to figure out how to set up working e-mail to send photos to myself & not sure I can do something like download an app. Think not. Even if all that were not a problem, I have a tremor that affects mainly my hands; I would not be able to hold a phone steady. You think these are blurry!

May have to think about a better USB microscope. This one is a cheapie I bought to see how useful it would be to me. I don't often need to photograph things that are so minute. My digital camera does well for small things using super macro, but these marks would be too small & difficult to position.

KikoBlueEyes and kyratango like this.
  10. Bronwen

French marks are incredibly tiny, & in this case we do not even have a complete one. Compared to the mark on the Mexican bracelet, we're trying to read something about this big:

Mexico mark_LI.jpg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Completely understand.

Bronwen and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  12. Bronwen

I've ordered what I hope will be a better scope for my needs. Still not expensive, but on a flexible arm, like a goose neck lamp. Main problem with the one I have is the stand, not the device, but I can't hold it by hand.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Hope it works. As you know I am a member of the BDC and understand the shakes.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted