Featured Friend's Thrift Shop Find - Pottery Plate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sorry that I only have these pics ;) (although I have massaged them slightly from what I got via email.) My son sent them to me on behalf of his lady friend's mother and he didn't get dimensions, but you can see her hand for a general size reference.

No markings per se. But look at the feet. I zoomed a bit on the details on the 4 feet, but I think they lost a little in the focus department. They each seem to have a stylized eye-shape with lashes across the top lid of each, but there are 3 irises inside each one. Peas in a pod? Note also the 3 little holes in one corner of the public side. Don't know what that's about.

Any ideas? Do you think studio?

I can ask him to get more info if you need it.

Plate Top.jpg

Plate Bottom.jpg

Plate Feet Detail.jpg

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I vote for "(green) peas in a pod." ;)

3. Bakersgma

Maybe pearly whites and a beard? :rolleyes:

4. Bakersgma

98 views and only 1 comment? I thought the potties would have more to say. Too soon because of the weekend?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I will say I like it and would've bought it. :)
    But I know zip about it. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

I would have bought it too (if cheap enough.) One of my favorite shades of green. ;) Which, by the way, looks mid-century to me.

7. KingofThings

I agree 50s -ish.
    I thought it a Fiesta color when I first saw it.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

It reminds me of some of the (then) avandt guarde pottery some designers/artisans sold in little shops in the (NYC) Village after the war.....

9. Bakersgma

Thank you both for weighing in. At least I don't feel invisible now. ;)

10. KingofThings

I did like it right off didn't I?
    :)

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

All I know is that I like it, and it is difficult to find through a Google search! The search brings up lots of pottery shaped like peapods, but I didn't see the mark.

12. Bakersgma

This morning, yes. But I posted this thread yesterday afternoon and was thinking, incorrectly it appears, that it would have received more input before I woke up today.

Not a problem, just a bit surprised.

13. Bakersgma

Thanks for trying, Fig!

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  14. KingofThings

I've had it happen. I'm surprised I didn't do that yesterday. :(
    I usually at least like so that the poster knows its being seen. :)

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Lots of views and only one comment = difficult or impossible to identify. I've had those on this list, too. It is a little disappointing but usually means folks after taking a look have nothing that can really help with the ID.

Can share thoughts on the feel of it, and want to say from the get-go that I think it is very cool, and if I saw that at a thrift store would have purchased it as well. Colors and pattern remind me of 30's-50's, but it is kind of a modernist shape, more in line with the 50's or a bit later. And has a feel of a studio piece vrs something you would purchase at a regular department store. The little square feet seem more modern, like later studio pottery, but the rest of it looks older.

Hard to say if the pattern on the feet is meant to be a signature, or just decoration since it is on all four feet. Would the artist sign their name 4 times? Maybe...

The little holes in the top might just be part of the decoration, or if uniform might have held something --any sign of wear inside those holes? If they were meant to hold something that would be a clue.

Under the base there almost looks like there is a 5th point where the dish or tray balances, or is that a handle or something? Looking straight down can't make out exactly what this is.

I assume there are no marks on any edges of the feet?

It is an intriguing piece, but I haven't seen similar so can't help with the maker, but do like it a lot!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  16. KingofThings

It's all I can do to lift my finger to the like button. ;)

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Know the feeling. It just means that we, or people we post for, have exclusive (in this case) or eccentric (my case) tastes;).

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

By the way, how can you tell how many views there have been?

19. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Not one that is familiar, sorry.

Bakersgma likes this.
  20. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

By the way, how can you tell how many views there have been?

If you click on the forum title, in this case "Pottery, Glass, Porcelain" it will list the recent posts in this category by title. To the right of the title shows the number of views and responses.

Draft saved Draft deleted