Ges Gesch Brass Box

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by kraftblue, May 10, 2019.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

What kind of box would this be? 3 3/8" x 2 5/8" x 1". Has a few compartments inside.

brass1.JPG brass2.JPG brass3.JPG brass4.JPG brass5.JPG brass6.JPG brass7.JPG

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its for holding and dispensing German postage stamps.

Figtree3, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Dave!

judy, scoutshouse, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

gesetzlich geschützt = protected (or similar) . should have a mark with it. if not in many cases later copies. here it could be a fake WMF with jugendstil carving. do the rivets have a function ?

5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

So it's trademarked or copyrighted (if that's the right term) but by no one?

Which rivets? They replicated the front flap on the back, including a fake fastener, but maybe this offset one on the side attaches the vertical divider??

[​IMG]

Those folded corners are nice. It's lovely, @kraftblue

judy likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Jeff Drum and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

VERY bad sign and as usual not really a reference. the Austrians marked "geschützt" only.
    and I think the Germans weren't THAT stupid to make a law in the 1880s that said you can mark and protect everything you sell by a simple "protected" without the company's mark and/or logo. how would the other companies and the authorities know, what excactly is protected ?
    and it's a good idea to check on the ebay platform where it should be coming from:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Traumhafte-...333174?hash=item25fa4ff1b6:g:M~IAAOSwQQNbLoNh

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Seltene-Dec...203148?hash=item261a31698c:g:XSMAAOSwBCdcshEM

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Jugendstil-...536914?hash=item5d8a513752:g:iHMAAOSw1KRb8BKW

and now we might dare to guess why the coloring is so funny on this one here. artificially aged with a thin acid washout.

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Different mark[​IMG]
    Inside plaque
    [​IMG]

Thanks, @Fid
    Where did yours come from, @kraftblue?

9. kraftblue

My box came from an estate sale. This homeowner was there during this sale. He was a world traveler, was a photographer for National Geographic, his house had a lot of stuff. I asked him....he said he had met Jaques Coustou. Interesting.

scoutshouse, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I agree. interesting.

scoutshouse and judy like this.