Glass Dolphin Candlesticks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 16, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

348480D2-5B6B-4C5F-92D0-096349DA90A1.jpeg 9DB2A6EE-7C20-40A1-BF77-17E92C2F0CE0.jpeg There are many variations of dolphin candlesticks but so far I can find one with flat round bases. If someone does, let me know.

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have gone through all my notes and books. I can not find any with flat round bases like yours. I have to say since there are no marks (mint like condition) that they may be a new import form Asia. let me know how tall they are. The molding looks like a brand new piece also.
    greg

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

F634C996-A814-4F87-BEDD-D84D8D35C0DF.jpeg A7363865-7F1F-4E97-9FA8-AC2E348F5D36.jpeg 1DC6E774-5ADB-42AB-BF4F-053425BC31BA.jpeg They have no damages but can’t tell mint from not. Will measure them later on today.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't help, but LOVE the Dolphins, brother having been a Submariner!!!!:smuggrin:

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those might be Smithsonian or Metropolitan Museum of Art replicas. They sold some about 15 years back, and they were popular so they sold a lot of them. They weren't marked.

6. gregsglass

Hi,
    Aquitaine so was I.

7. gregsglass

Hi Ruth,
    The Met ones were marked with MMA sold seven or eight of them. The Smithsonian ones I am not sure but both had the stand like bases. This one is flat and does not look well made in the upper stem.
    greg

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oh well. Chinese imports then, probably.

Draft saved Draft deleted