Glass Slides How to Display

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by cxgirl, Oct 14, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    A friend was given a bunch of photographs and glass slides, all of Alaska from 1915-22 time period. She would like to display the glass slides, (they are of sleds & dogs) and is wondering if she put them in a frame with light behind them if that would hurt them?
    Or does anyone have any ideas on how to display them - she doesn't want to put them in a box.
    Thanks for any information.

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

What a great display, thanks johnny!

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wow, Johnny -- great display! Is that yours, or did you find the photo somewhere?

5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Those sound like nice slides!
    I'm not sure whether the constant exposure to light would be damaging or not.....any photo experts around?

I've known basket-display rooms to have a motion sensor, so that a dim light was turned on only when someone was present.
    If the light is bad for the slides, such an arrangement might work for a framed display, depending on the location.

yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, they are very nice! I should have taken photos of them, the dogs are great.
    I've looked on-line but can't seem to find any information on whether constant light would hurt them - so hopefully someone will come know.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I just remembered something featured in the final episode of Ken Burns' The Civil War. Matthew Brady (the famous CW photographer) went out of business and all his remaining plates (which were glass) were either destroyed or sold as scrap glass for glazing greenhouses. Over the years the images all "burned" away from the sunlight.

Now yours may be more stable because of more modern techniques, but it would be a risk.

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Has friend given any thought to digitizing them to make them more useful and permanent? There are companies who will do that for a fee if friend doesn't want to do it at home. Need a special scanner like those some libraries have now for microfilm and microfiche. Here's one I digitized recently-looking down over the edge into crater of Maunaloa volcano on Oahu in 1970's. I think there's another adjustment on the machine that gets rid of the graininess, but I hadn't discovered it yet. Scanning makes big files so if you click on this photo it will expand to the size of a garage door or so.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    cxgirl likes this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks bakers and spring!
    What a shame to destroy those old plates:( That is what I was wondering, if that would happen to these with the light
    Yes, they know about making copies but her thought is that it would be nice to display these old slides rather than leave them in a drawer or box. Photos would be nice in frames but displaying these would be better.

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Be great if u could find one of those flat x-ray reading light boxes like in doctors' offices, slides could be arranged on it and fixed somehow, hang it on wall like a picture. Lots of new and used ones on E-boo

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/x-ray-view-box

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Frame them like stained glass....in a thick wood frame.....with a back light....
    Then they only need be lit from time to time......led lights would do minimal harm...

SeaGoat, Bakersgma and gregsglass like this.
  12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have sold scads of slides to a craftsperson here in Chicago who makes lamp shades from them................

gregsglass likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Would LOVE to see a BIGGER picture of this....it looks amazing!!!!
    Sue

Draft saved Draft deleted