Featured Gold? Indian? chain with chrysopras? pendant, please help ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, Jan 22, 2023.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Recently I bought this gold tone chain with an oval pendant with green cabochon stone that looks to me as chrysopras. The pendant is about 3 cm long and 2 cm wide, has carving (or maybe some other word is appropriate, it is being cut through with holes in the metal) decoration and something that appears as a hallmark in the middle of the back - looks to me like the profile of a cat or a panther. The chain is marked on two places, one of them only with an unknown for me hallmark and the other with what appears to be the same hallmark and the figure 915 or 916 below it. I read that this is typical mark for Indian 22 K gold. The pendant looks somewhat reddish compared to the chain. Am I on the right track?

Any comment to help ID is very much appreciated! Thank you for looking!

Indian6.jpg Indian5.jpg Indian7.jpg Indian4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  2. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

The images got reshuffled, no idea why...

Dessert58 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Iva.
    The pendant doesn't look Indian to me, neither does the mark on the rolled edge of the pendant. But they copy many styles. Could you post a photo of the mark please?
    Yes the two are a marriage, the pendant is rose gold, the chain yellow gold.
    Could you post a closeup of the mark on the chain as well?

NewEngland, IvaPan and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any, very much appreciated! I struggle to photo the hallmark itself :( It is so tiny! I saw it through my googles but don't know how to magnify them enough to be clearly visible for my cellphone camera. I will try again tomorrow as it is getting dark now.
    So it is not Indian. Let's wait until I manage to photo the hallmarks.
    Now as I look at the pendant mark, it looks like a decorated "D" letter :wideyed:

How can you guys read hallmarks, it is a miracle for me! They look different every time I look at them through the googles. :nailbiting:

I wil try to enlarge the photos and crop only the hallmark

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Not necessarily Indian. It isn't something your usual Indian goldsmith would make, but as everywhere there are exceptions.;)

IvaPan likes this.
  6. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

I take them out, no use of them.
    Tomorrow at daylight I will try again.
    Thanks again, Any!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Any, looking at the pendant, now it looks to me Turkish/Ottoman.

8. Any Jewelry

Why, Iva?

IvaPan likes this.
  9. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Any, I cannot explain, even in BG cannot, gut feeling. The style of the cabochon - raised above the surface and with this rim around (not visible on the photos, I realise now :(), the style of the decoration, the mark on the back. Plus the probability to be found here. Can be totally wrong, of course.

B.t.w., there is а typical BG style of decoration of carpets that is quite similar to the Native American style. I mean somehow people from far away lands come to similar design ideas without any interference or exchange between them.

Any Jewelry and Ownedbybear like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If the marks are too small to photograph try shooting looking through a loupe, or try drawing what you see :)

Aquitaine and IvaPan like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

2nd pic down,doesnt it look like there might have been a hinge at one point? I dont know why,but my 1st thought was Scottish arts and craft.

IvaPan likes this.
  12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Johnny, for sharing, it is always good to have different opinions. To me it looks very Islamic, but this is what I know and have seen a lot. Arabesques-ish, like mosque decoration. I don't know anything about Scottish traditions and design, though, can't compare.
    I did a quick search, it indeed resembles Celtic style pendants. Thanks for suggesting, tomorrow I will do more research in this direction.

I just had a look with googles, it is the ending of the rim of the pendant , no visible trace of a hinge, at least from what I see.

13. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Marie, tomorrow I will try. And will post the results.

14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Is there a mark at this location?

Indian5a.jpg

IvaPan likes this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first thought on the pendant was Turkish too. I tried to see what's on the chain, but...dunno. It looks like it wants to be German, but what I can see of the marks looks wrong.

IvaPan likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks all hand made......maybe even to the chain itself.....
    is that a mark at the top of the bale?

IvaPan likes this.
  17. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your opinion!
    Hollyblue, I will check the place you pointed and will post the result.
    Komo, the pendant is not marked on the bail but in the middle of the back. It is domed and to me also looks handcrafted. The mark resembles a symbol I have the feeling I have seen before but cannot remember where. But for some reason it relates to Arabic or Islamic art in my mind. Maybe self-delusion....

Guys, some nasty flu cought me so excuse me if I don't answer promptly. Trying to fight it...

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Fight the good fight.........rest up and get well soon.

IvaPan likes this.
  19. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Komo!
    After spending the whole morning sleeping after an awful night, now I feel a bit better and tried to follow-up on this.
    Hollyblue, examined the place you marked, unfortunately looks like a dent on the edge from a blow on the pendant. No discernible marking there.
    Below are photos of the pendant profile and of my improvised drawing of the hallmarks. The hallmarks appear identical on both rings (on the 1st picture above there are two marks - one on the ring with the clasp and another one on the ring the clasp is attached to) but one of them is not well fit and part of it is missing, the part with 915 marking.
    Thank you again for looking! Any comments are mostly welcome!
    pendant profile.jpg
    drawing hallmark.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  20. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Photo of the mark on the back of the pendant
    pendant mark centre.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted