Featured Gold Nugget Pendant and Ring from Alaska

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jennifer Plesman Jackson, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Jennifer Plesman Jackson Kees’ daughter

These belonged to my mom. We lived in Anchorage from Christmas 1958 until March 1963. The inscription in the ring reads “M.CHIN 14K” ( I think…). I don’t know where she purchased them nor if they have any value other than the weight of the gold. In advance, than you! FEBEE78C-229D-4F49-ABB5-E623B8C5EBA3.jpeg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

With current gold prices it is unlikely that they would sell for more than melt

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The ring looks like a legit nugget set on a band. The chain has a classic Chinese clasp as made for the Chinese market. Not sure of the pendant. I bet it was a Chinese jeweler in Anchorage.

4. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

That is very interesting because we moved from Anchorage to Tokyo. We visited Hong Kong a lot from there and it’s possible she had the nuggets set while in Hong Kong. Hmmmm. Thank you so much for the tip about the clasp. We are visiting friends in Anchorage this summer who were our neighbors and I will ask if they recognize the Chin name to see if he/she could have possibly been a jeweler in Anchorage.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

She may well have gotten the nuggets at the source and had them set in Hong Kong.

6. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Yes, I was thinking that as well…

7. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

There is a group of buyers that love to purchase real gold nugget items. The nuggets of good size (such as these) would be worth more than the actual gold weight. As a caveat I will say I am not so confident in the pendant being a genuine nugget. The ring on the other hand, I am pretty positive it is. Best way to find out is to find a gold buyer with an XLR. The nuggets themselves should test out around (usually above) 18 or so Karats, I've had some as high as 20K.

Do a little research on these as selling them for 35% less than spot is giving a good bite of the apple away. If these were mine, and they tested properly, I would personally do a 1.5 markup over spot. i.e. if the spot price of gold were theoretically 5000.00 I would do 5000 x 1.5 for a sale price of $7500.00. Real gold nugget jewelry tends to bring a decent price.

8. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement with most. Ring is a nugget but the drop may or may not be. I was in The Fairbanks area in 1964 - 1966 and you could purchase rough gold from the bank as specimens at a reasonable price.

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Need a better photo of the nugget on the left,looks like it may have casting bubbles.

10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Mop

I was about to say the same, just not as well. People LOVE genuine nuggets and will pay well over spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted