Featured Governor Winthrop Style Desk - Price Point

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 3, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This hasn't been priced yet, but will probably go out on the floor today. It is a secretary in the style of a Governor Winthrop. The shop believes it is from the 1920s. At what price point should I turn away in your estimation. I see them selling for $500- $600, but that could be before the bottom fell out of the market. Since it's not ready for sale I could only get a few pictures. I didn't see a marker's mark.

IMG_7898.jpg IMG_7896.jpg IMG_7895.jpg IMG_7894.jpg IMG_7897.jpg

komokwa, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's a serpentine slant lid or fall front desk. In the chippendale style.
    Boy, I dunno, $500 sounds high to me plus desks in general are a very tough sell these days, even 18th-century ones are going for a song at auction. They have lost their function & have yet to find a new niche in today's world.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  3. KikoBlueEyes

James. Thanks so much for this. I get taken up when I see any furniture that evokes a time in the past. I was attracted by the curved bits, but I have a built in secretary in my house, so essentially this would be a huge paperweight.

4. James Conrad

Yeah, THAT'S the problem with desks these days, lost their function and are basically dust collectors, hence the bottom has fallen out of that market.
    If you do get it, I'd get rid of that dark finish, looks like mahogany which has been covered up with that black finish.

5. KikoBlueEyes

I was thinking the same thing. I would have to strip off that hard outer layer to see the mahogany underneath. I need a new project like I need a hole in my head, so it would sit around for a long time before I got to it. I'll check back and see what she wants. Sometimes the prices are not reasonable.

6. James Conrad

Wait for Brad & Ghopper on price but I'd guess $500. is way too high.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. Since there were others who were interested in it and it might be sold quickly, I'll ask them directly. @verybrad and @Ghopper1924 - could you please give me a comment about price?

komokwa, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. James Conrad

9. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. To think something that gorgeous and period could be had under 5 figures is astonishing to me. Okay. No paperweight for me.

10. James Conrad

20 years ago, that walnut desk above would be worth 5k at least! Today hard to give away, you can't buy the walnut on that desk for $300. A little insane but that's the market now on desks, DEAD!

11. KikoBlueEyes

Completely a shame, I agree. I have to keep in mind, there are actual things that I need to replace with real antiques and not spend my money on non essentials.

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I had a desk much like Kiko's, which I inherited from a relative. It was from the 1940s. 10 years ago I ended up donating it to a friend for stock for her antique store. Before that I couldn't give it away. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it, and then only if you love it.

I'd spend $300 and get that REAL Chippendale.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Perfect. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks so much for weighing in.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    komokwa, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

She priced it at $395. Thanks for all your comments. It won't be coming home with me at that price.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  15. James Conrad

Yeah agrees, it's not worth that I don't think, not in today's market. I bet it's still there a month from now.:cigar:

Ghopper1924, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

She will use it to showcase other items until she gets a new big piece. That's when she might start dropping the price.

Ghopper1924, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  17. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Gorgeous isn’t it. If only I needed either.

James Conrad likes this.
  19. James Conrad

True!
    You see the same sort of thing with early 19th century Federal sideboards with few exceptions (southern huntboards come immediately to mind), absolutely gorgeous sideboards that are all hand made going for a song at auction.
    Again, lost their function and nobody wants them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think even $395.00 too high. It would need to be under $150.00 and spruced up to sell here.

James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted