Featured Hanau? Cup/Beaker

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Apr 8, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Had a big silver score recently. This beaker came out of the eclectic menagerie. The former owner acid tested many things along with cutting into them and using steel wool or something. This one thankfully had it done to the bottom. Many pieces weren’t so lucky. One beautiful little tray said “sterling” in plain English. He defiled the top of it this same way and still threw it in his reject pile. Painful, but still a win for me. Guessing this has to be Hanau? I don’t find an exact match in a brief search. Anyone care to object or know the maker? 0BB8B9A4-8700-4399-B802-906C56D2428A.jpeg DCC62892-858B-453F-8FB5-62F838548581.jpeg

johnnycb09, mmarco102, Marote and 4 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Ye Gods...what a brute!

johnnycb09, J Dagger and Marote like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Glad he finally turned off his wire wheel !

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Unless he's dead, Bosko, it's still runnin', be sure!

johnnycb09, J Dagger and Marote like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Hanau. Maybe a Kiddush cup?
    That person should never be allowed near silver again.:mad:

6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I'm glad you were able to rescue it.
    Show us when you make it shiny again!

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  7. J Dagger

Since it is unadorned with engraving and bigger than many Kiddush cups that didn’t really occur to me. I should have included dimensions. 4” tall and 3.25” across top. It could be though.

The funny thing is, this is like the best example of what he did to something. As in, this is the least damaged, best preserved piece that he tested. Most of which actually were silver. If I hadn’t still made out so good I would have been more upset. I had words with him about not disclosing the amateur testing but I still killed the deal so all is well that ends well.

He certainly shouldn’t be let near anymore though. He does still have the best piece that I was supposed to get but I made the fatal mistake of asking for an additional photo of it. I had already agreed to buy everything so I thought it might be safe to ask but it ‘twas not. Had words about that too of course. Oh well, still killed it.

8. J Dagger

I’ve always wanted a silver beaker so I probably will get it shined up and actually use it. I can’t see that happening any time soon but when it does I will. :)

stracci, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. bosko69

Sounds like this fellow was on a different wavelength from even the most aggressive/regressive scrapper-weird.

J Dagger likes this.
  10. J Dagger

If I had to guess he likely inherited a large collection. He definitely wasn’t an entrepreneurial scrapper. He just happened upon some silver and somehow found out about acid testing. He then went headlong into doing it all wrong.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:facepalm::arghh:

komokwa likes this.
  12. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Reading the opening post to this thread gave me heart-palpitations.

That kind of treatment should be illegal!!

J Dagger likes this.
  13. J Dagger

It literally and figuratively pained me greatly. I can only assume by his actions and words that he figured things had zero value if they weren’t sterling silver and that even if they were sterling that all the value was in the silver itself, not the object. Luckily a good percentage of the solid silver objects were of the flatware variety and he must have thought smaller objects were not worth the time. They mostly escaped his callous hands and acid.

14. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I WISH THAT WERE TRUE!!

If that was so, I'd be buying antique silver by the BUCKETLOAD.

J Dagger likes this.
  15. bosko69

What a strange and interesting cache you found J.

J Dagger likes this.
  16. J Dagger

I’ll probably show some photos at some point. It was a helluva haul. Helluva haul.

17. bosko69

You sound like you've got a great work ethic J ! Then again,if you love what you're doing-it aint' work.

Draft saved Draft deleted