HAND PAINTED(?) RUSSIAN RELIGIOUS ICON

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 1, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I've had this for a while, but have decided to sell it after seeing how much money some religious icons bring on eBay.
    Is this hand painted? Or is it a sticker/transfer? I can't feel any ridges but think it might have a shellac or coating of some kind.
    There is some white paint splatter on the back edges; maybe the first layer on the wood before painting on it?
    Any help - or ideas on how to find out if it is actually painted would be appreciated.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY RELIGOUS ICON RUSSIAN PAINTING GOLD 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY RELIGOUS ICON RUSSIAN PAINTING GOLD 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY RELIGOUS ICON RUSSIAN PAINTING GOLD 6AA.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

A close up if it helps
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY RELIGOUS ICON RUSSIAN PAINTING GOLD 3AA.jpg

3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Size? To me it looks like a print thats been applied to the board ...but I could be wrong. I don't think the age of the wood matches the age of whenever the original of this was...if that makes sense. Have you used a magnifying glass or loupe to look for dot patterns?

EDIT... possibly a copy/print of the image of Mary in St Clements Catholic church in Ilolio Philippines

https://scrimgeour.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/1550-mass-st-clements1.jpg

More edit...

This icon is our mother of perpetual help and according to this:

https://redemptorists.net/redemptorists/devotion-to-omph/

...originally came from Crete. I'm sure the one in the Philippines is a copy and yours too... whether or not yours is a print remains to be seen.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    kyratango and i need help like this.
  4. journeymagazine

I looked for pixels - none
    The wood measures 17" x 22"

5. journeymagazine

I just looked at your link - that is it!
    So if it is a print what do I call it?
    Our Lady of Perpetual Help icon?

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

That's what I'd call it! I still think it's some kind of print applied/glued to the board.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is definitely a print, probably with a layer of varnish. These are sold in souvenir shops and shops for religious items. I have a small one of st John of Patmos, the saint who wrote the Revelation/Apocalypse. It looks very old, but isn't.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The crown on the Christ figure's head differs on YOURS, Journey......AJ, is that a usual different configuration????

EDIT: Ooops, just noticed it does on "Our Lady" too! Some days I need glasses for my glasses :hilarious::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Here you are, with a third set for those hot exhausting days:):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Bakersgma, Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
  11. journeymagazine

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks AJ!!!! Some days you're just SO helpful, I'm beside myself!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: And if I couldn't see with THEM, I'd better just quit and give up the ghost!!!!:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted